Old Harmony Bari On the Way

OhioBelle

Reaction score
**Update: it's not coming. GC cancelled the order today due to it already being sold in store before I placed the order online

Found this used on GC dot com. I've had it in my head to find an old beater bari, and could not resist this price! It says "good" condition. If it's worse than that, I can always return it locally and I'm only out shipping. Worth the risk, I think!

It should be here by mid-week. Can't wait!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/HARMONY/Baritone.gc

Last edited:
For $60, that's a smokin' deal! I have a friend who has one, he got it from his parents when he was a kid around 1952, it's mint condition and sounds great (if you like baris) :shaka: I have a couple other friends with Harmony baris and one with a nice concert, I wouldn't mind finding a nice concert one myself!

Hmm, from the pics, I don't know if I'd call that "good", certainly not cosmetically, but if it's structurally sound and you can put your own "sweat equity" into it, it could indeed turn into a nice player.

Yeah dano, it was the price that made me take the leap. And the fact that I'm really, truly, just looking for one I can drag around for fun.

I agree, Jim, there are a lot of dings and scratches on it. As long as they're just that, and not cracks, I would call it "good" for a uke that's probably nearing 70 years old or so. The pics aren't great, but it looks like the earlier of the green decals on the headstock, the ones that just say "Made By The Harmony Company Chicago USA." Of course, perhaps that age spells trouble for the neck or the braces inside. We shall see! Maybe it lost its strings years ago and has had no tension on that neck for all this time. :)

And thanks, maki, I will definitely report my findings here. Anything Jake Wildwood sells is gonna be in great shape. Riskier from GC, especially with those sketchy pics. But kinda fun to see if it's a treasure! And I'm only out 15 dollars shipping if it turns out to be a bust. Also - I could spend a few dollars to get it fixed up and still come out with a nice baritone.

Fingers crossed!

My first baritone purchased was an older Gianinni and was beat up badly with scruffs, scratches, dings and dents. But is was in solid condition with a straight neck, it played well and sounded great. Best $100.00 spent on a uke, I still have it and still play it from time to time. Great for travelling, car camping etc, no worry no fuss just play it.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Harmony baritone. It reminded me of a classical guitar a I took all over when I was in college. The odd thing about the stringing was a single wound low D string. Finally figured out that someone had used a set of Nylgut soprano low G strings and tuned them to DGBE. With the 19" scale they worked really well and the diameters are almost identical, just slightly smaller. I liked having a single would string. When I replaced the strings I just used another set of Nylgut soprano low G strings.

Can't say this will be helpful, but it is an option.

John

Looks like a good deal to me. I think it will work out for you.

That’s a great deal. One of my wants is a Harmony Baritone. I have seen a few and they sound sweet and mellow. Congratulations!

Congrats!! I've been seeing quite a few Harmony baritones on Reverb as well and have been contemplating grabbing one. I look forward to your review...

Well, there will be no NUD or review for this one. Someone had already bought it before I placed my online order.

Them's the breaks! The hunt for the perfect ol hog beater resumes!

Well, there will be no NUD or review for this one. Someone had already bought it before I placed my online order.

Them's the breaks! The hunt for the perfect ol hog beater resumes!

Dang! That could have been the Magisterium...:shaka:

Good luck Ohiobelle,
We sold one just like it, in better shape right here, with a hard case for 200. I'm sure another one will show up.

I still see them often on Reverb too - I hope you're able to find another!

Top Bottom