Is it possible to have NUD when I don't even have my first one in hand?

Chiclet123

Reaction score
I have been lurking around the forum doing research and obsessing over my first ukulele purchase. Finally pressed the checkout button on HMS and will be getting a Pono ACTD-CR. For those of you who get lost in the alphabet soup of these various models... that is a tenor with solid cedar top, solid acacia sides and back, and a cutaway. I am thrilled!! I also have zero idea what to do when it arrives but that is half the fun.

Meanwhile, my husband, who plays guitar, was eyeing a beautiful solid acacia Kala baritone... so I accidentally put that in the cart too... :cool:

I have been lurking around the forum doing research and obsessing over my first ukulele purchase. Finally pressed the checkout button on HMS and will be getting a Pono ACTD-CR. For those of you who get lost in the alphabet soup of these various models... that is a tenor with solid cedar top, solid acacia sides and back, and a cutaway. I am thrilled!! I also have zero idea what to do when it arrives but that is half the fun.

Meanwhile, my husband, who plays guitar, was eyeing a beautiful solid acacia Kala baritone... so I accidentally put that in the cart too... :cool:

Oh, good for you. You could call this a pre-NUD, many here have shared their excitement upon ordering a new uke. Pono are great instrument and that Kala baritone will make a nice playing partner for your tenor

Yes, is the short answer.
BUT, those two ukulele in hand may cure you instantly.

If you are giddy with NUD-ness now, just imagine how you'll feel on the day they actually arrive!!!

Wheeeeee!!!!!

:smileybounce:

Congratulations on two wonderful choices.

I probably have it too, since getting my new Pono All-Acacia Tenor Slot Head thingy last week, but I still don't know what NUD stands for. Guess it's New Ukulele... D____? But what is the D-part?

I probably have it too, since getting my new Pono All-Acacia Tenor Slot Head thingy last week, but I still don't know what NUD stands for. Guess it's New Ukulele... D____? But what is the D-part?

NUD - New Ukulele Day.

If you are new to Uking, then you will have MANY MANY NUD's, and you will become an expert in writing them. It's exciting and the excitement you feel is contagious with others. We all enjoy reading and living through other people's NUD's.

Best on Chiclet123's upcoming delivery and rob g's recent purchase...

You made some fine choices, not just with the Pono and Kala, but with including your husband into this endeavor. He can show you the basic chords as they are easily transferred from guitar, and playing/learning together is more fun than by yourself.

Congratulations to your upcoming NUDs!

I know how you feel! I ordered a Pono AT last Sunday. They say the wait time is 2-3 weeks, so I have one week down lol. Can't wait to see your NUD post.

And here I thought NUD meant New Ukelele Disorder!! ;) perhaps I should say I already have NUAD- new ukulele acquisition disorder!

And here I thought NUD meant New Ukelele Disorder!! ;) perhaps I should say I already have NUAD- new ukulele acquisition disorder!

That diagnosis is called UAS = Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome around here. Maybe because it is just a syndrome, not really a disorder. At least for most of us, it's a healthy happy hobby. Ukuleles are small and relatively inexpensive. You could do a lot worse, like the people who are afflicted with GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome). ;)

That diagnosis is called UAS = Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome around here. Maybe because it is just a syndrome, not really a disorder. At least for most of us, it's a healthy happy hobby. Ukuleles are small and relatively inexpensive. You could do a lot worse, like the people who are afflicted with GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome). ;)

UAS isn't a disorder unless it's accompanied by an excessive amount of NUDs. However, the definition of "excessive" is open to discussion.

My husband definitely has that one! And I have SMAD - sewing machine acquisition disorder. I like calling it a syndrome more as I agree - it is not a BAD thing to have!

I have to buy sewing machines occasionally - one every 7 or 8 years - and I don't enjoy it much. On the other hand, I have paid for (but not yet received), my 4th ukulele, and I only started learning to play the ukulele in January. That works out to a new uke every 3 or 4 weeks... Yeah! Definitely have a very serious case of UAS already.

Hehehe.. I started playing the uke around a year back and have 6 ukes at home with 3 ukes and 1 banjolele on their way!
I am already eyeing a full size deep throated cello banjo (if only they were lighter to carry around..)

I have been lurking around the forum doing research and obsessing over my first ukulele purchase. Finally pressed the checkout button on HMS and will be getting a Pono ACTD-CR.

Beautiful! I got a Pono ACD about two weeks ago. You won't be disappointed. Did you get the Expedited Setup? I wish I had. I had to wait about two weeks for the setup.

Beautiful! I got a Pono ACD about two weeks ago. You won't be disappointed. Did you get the Expedited Setup? I wish I had. I had to wait about two weeks for the setup.

The expedited setup is faster, but they don’t level the frets or take the action as low as they would a regular setup. Unless you’re comfortable doing that, the extra week is worth the wait IMO ;)

I like your 'accidentally put that in the cart' excuse.
We often accidentally put stuff in our cart too so you are not alone. I am sure your hubby would love your accident.
It is interesting to read your question because I too am itching to do a NUD. I have not paid my buddy who sold me this uke so technically I can't claimed that it is mine yet.
I was so tempted to ask for permission when he called today but I decided to wait until I hand over the cash. For now, I just kidnap the uke.
I know the feeling......let's hope yours come soon then you can do an offical NUD

No, what you're having is NUA...New Uke Anticipation. Wait until the package appears on your porch! Then you can post a NUD with pictures, or it isn't real. After that you'll get UAS...Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. And it all starts all over again!!! :shaka:

Top Bottom