Fluorocarbon Time

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just finished another soprano out of the batch of six I building at the moment this is No 3 ..I've finally used up all my stock of Aquila strings and now gone over to the Fluorocarbon strings and I like e'm...:) The Gauges I found the best are 1st .020"... 2nd .026"... 3rd .036" ...4th .024"

PICT0034 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Ken. I'm considering fishing line, but with one of the brands more readily available in the UK rather than the Seaguar. Have you noticed any differences in the quality (for ukuleles that is - I'm not a fisherman) of the different brands you have bought?

Hi Ken. I'm considering fishing line, but with one of the brands more readily available in the UK rather than the Seaguar. Have you noticed any differences in the quality (for ukuleles that is - I'm not a fisherman) of the different brands you have bought?

I'm using Seaguar on 1st 2nd and 4th and Rovex 80lb for 3rd ..and the quality is good on both but if I buy more i'll go for these Berkley leaders co's they have all the sizes I need in stock, where Rovex don't.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berkley-Ga..._1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=3KB8VNT9VTJFGDSAP4PZ

Thanks for the info!

I see the latest build is up for sale. Very lovely instrument. If only sounds half as good as it looks, it would still be amazing!

Just finished another soprano out of the batch of six I building at the moment this is No 3 ..I've finally used up all my stock of Aquila strings and now gone over to the Fluorocarbon strings and I like e'm...:) The Gauges I found the best are 1st .020"... 2nd .026"... 3rd .036" ...4th .024"

PICT0034 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

I'm glad you have come over to the "fishing line" camp Ken. That is one sweet looking uke. Since this is a historically accurate uke, have you considered using the dried wound intestines of Hawaiian pigs? Perhaps liana vine fiber?... I absolutely hate those white nylgut strings from Aquila because of the way they make my ukes look. So plastic! Have to admit they sound janky which is good but I like the mellower fluorocarbon line. Still, I've never decided which sound I like better. All I can say is that they are... different.... I use Martin fluorocarbons which are cheap and available. Soft though.

My theory is the big string makers put platicizers in their strings to make them feel silky and such. Plain fishing line feels a little dry at first and those plasticizers hurt the sound some. Just a theory.

On my tenors I've recently started using 40lb, 50lb, 60lb and 90lb (low G) Seaguar. I must have 3 or 4 instruments strung this way and am happy with the results. If you use Berkley, which is considerably cheaper, then 80lb is what you use for the low G.

These correspond to .024, .026, .029 and .036". This is based on info provided by other users and not something I've decided for myself

Top Bottom