Mid-Range Ukes: Opio, Pono, Ohana, Kala

@NoyBoy98 I saw that video almost as soon as it came out! I was in contact with Andrew Kitakis earlier this week, and he told me that he would include it in the podcast. Evidently it is a common question that they get. I was also glad that he listened to my request about the strings. He took both instruments and strung them identically-With BOTH sets of strings that come with the instruments. That being said, I think I am leaning toward the Opio sound-wise, however; the Fluorocarbons on the Pono make it sound much better to my ears than the other recordings. They sound much closer when strung similarly, in my opinion.

@NoyBoy98 I saw that video almost as soon as it came out! I was in contact with Andrew Kitakis earlier this week, and he told me that he would include it in the podcast. Evidently it is a common question that they get. I was also glad that he listened to my request about the strings. He took both instruments and strung them identically-With BOTH sets of strings that come with the instruments. That being said, I think I am leaning toward the Opio sound-wise, however; the Fluorocarbons on the Pono make it sound much better to my ears than the other recordings. They sound much closer when strung similarly, in my opinion.

It’s a hard choice indeed! That’s awesome that they listened to your request. I think you’ll be totally happy with either of them. Their description of the Opio and how the sound doesn’t degrade as much when you hold it against your body was very interesting. Let us know what you pick!

I do not either. And as a matter of fact, I have all of about 1 minute of Uke playing experience under my belt right now, though I do have a Romero XS Soprano and a Makala Baritone waiting for my return to the US in June. However, I’m already looking towards the future and have come to same decision as you, Pono or Opio. I’d like to highlight something that has not been brought up yet in this conversation, and that is the warranty.

Pono offers a limited non-transferrable warranty for the first owner. But Opio get the ‘Better than the weather’ warranty that stays with the instrument forever. That to me is way more valuable than a truss rod, etc. So I personally am leaning strongly towards the Opio. Since they truly are SO close in terms of value, sound, construction, etc, it takes looking at all the extra perks to sway me in one direction or the other . . . BUT, then there’s the next best option. Keep you eye out on the market place here and get one of both :drool: ;)

Well, I had an Opio concert and I wasn't that impressed with the build quality. It didn't compare to the KoAloha LN pineapple soprano I had, though even here there were a few minor issues that my cheaper Pono baritone doesn't have. It did sound great, though (the KoAloha pineapple). But what would make me more wary of an Opio (tenor) are the various reports from people about dead notes (the D# on the C string). I'd not buy one unseen (unless I can return it) as this issue isn't covered by warranty.

HMS just put up a video where they demo some new Opio/KoAloha and they even compare an Opio Acacia vs a Pono Acacia. Fun vid to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM24RVBa7UI

How good is that video? So lucky to have these guys do what they do.

Especially for someone like myself in Australia wheer you don't get a chance to play these ukes in person.

Pono's tenors are well-regarded and rightfully so. I, too, was intrigued by the notion of an adjustable truss rod, but now that I own a Pono ATD, I find it's quite heavy because of that truss rod. Thankfully, mine came to me already fitted with strap button and endpin, because I need to wear a strap with this uke. It's a hoot to play especially plugged in, ( mine also has an LR Baggs 5.0 pickup.) But on its own, it's a bit quiet, though sweet, and the neck has certain baseball bat-like characterisitcs ...even though it also has a radiused fretboard, it is not the most comfortab!e player for me... not by a long shot.

Another tenor I own is a Kanilea Islander MST4, the solid mahogany tenor. It's much lighter,and has a warm, sweet voice... also a very nice neck profile, but it's too quiet for me. I'm currently in the process of making buffalo bone nut and saddle for it, to replace the stock Tusq.

My favorite tenor, so far, is the inexpensive Cordoba 24T.... solid cedar top, laminated spalted maple b&s, it's a gorgeous uke, light as a feather, and a big wonderful voice. Silky smooth fast playing neck...I'm so impressed with this <$200 uke that I'm planning to get the baritone and concert versions in the near future as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom