Kamaka 100th anniversary....which model to buy

uketanzon

Reaction score
I have a few opportunites before me, on 100 year kamakas...
same price point...

For collectable purposes, what would be better....more valuable

a traditional soprano.......or a concert?

Soprano.........they don't call it the "Standard" for nothing

Don't buy because it might someday be collectible. It likely won't be collectible for dozens of years, if ever at all. Buy the one you'll play.

All good recommendations. I would buy the concert if it were me because that is where I have settled for now; if I were collecting, I would want the soprano as it would be the very definition of the “standard” ukulele as others have stated...and it would be smaller to store (again thinking about collectibility).

All that said, there are some “next level’ 100th Anniversary Kamakas out there (binding, rosette, etc.) that will eventually be yet more valuable than the standard instruments. Unlike Martins from the 1920s, people bought the 100th Anniversary Kamakas because of collectibility—whereas in 1920 they were just inexpensive standard ukuleles.

I have a few opportunites before me, on 100 year kamakas...
same price point...

For collectable purposes, what would be better....more valuable

a traditional soprano.......or a concert?

Same price for different size ukuleles? I personally would be wary of this deal. Didn't know that so many Anniversary models were still available. Just sayin'

Athough both are superior instruments, either one will be a very bad financial investment. "For collectable purposes," the soprano is the better. It will lose a bit less of its value than will the concert.

Thanks eveyone.....its for my display case , probably wont ever be played, have so many other ukes.
So I bought a nicely figured SOPRANO. Thanks again for opinions. it was helpful.

If you're thinking about a future sale, tenors are preferred over concerts, and concerts are preferred over sopranos.

You're luck to have a chance to get the (2016) anniversary versions. I have a soprano and a tenor, and each came with the 1916 - 2016 logo on the case, as well as on the head of the ukulele.

Not sure.....I agree.
the early ukulele, the manual nunes was very small. The concert and tenor sizes did not emerge until 1925 and later. Then they called the small instrument a soprano. before it was just called a ukulele. so in my thinking, a kamaka 100 year anniversary should be a soprano, the original or standard if you only get to have one. would I like a concert and tenor....as well. .hell yes....but my pockets are bare at moment.

Top Bottom