Blackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay - Picture Set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
This one has been a bit more work than usual. Lot's of planning and prep for something this customised.

It's a long neck concert with compound radius on the fret board. Curly Australian Blackwood body and bindings. High gloss finish.

Inlay is pink mussel shell for the petals, Blackwood for the stems and vacuum dyed maple for the leaves.

Blackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay1.jpgBlackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay2.jpgBlackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay3.jpgBlackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay4.jpgBlackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay5.jpg

Instantly recognisable as one of yours-beautiful as always. Its interesting to see so much inlay work on one of your instruments where its normally the wood that provides all the decoration.

I don't know whether it was you or the client that did the design work for the inlay but I wondering whether there's a Chinese/Japanese porcelain influence here? Certainly its a work of art.

Absolutely beautiful. Just love the shape of your instrument bodies. And the cherry blossoms fit perfectly. Another magnificent Barron River Ukulele!!

Cheers,

Steve.

I'm a fan of your artistry. In fact, I'm quite sure I think of your instruments as the most beautiful and tastefully designed. This one is the most gorgeous I've seen. And, although more elaborately decorated than most of yours, it's still tasteful.
Do you have a photo of the butt?

This is the only one that I have showing some of the end graft. It's the standard one I use. K&K Aloha Twin installed.

Blackwood Concert with Cherry Blossom Inlay8.jpg

Truly, the craftsmanship that I aspire to but will never achieve. The Chomolungma (Mount Everest) of ukulele construction. The fit and finish is impeccable... I like the asymmetry of the neck heel volute. Very cool. Was this by design or, come on Allen, fess up, did it work out that way and you made the best out of a goof? Recovery is a big part of the art, but sometimes I imagine you never have to recover. Anyway, I really like it and might even make an asymmetrical heel on my next neck. Why not?

No, the heel was by design. I want the elements of my instruments to give the impression and anticipation of movement. Leading the eye and hands of the viewer to follow the shapes and explore.

It's an evolving process that I don't believe will ever end. The designers from the late 19th and early 20th century were real masters of this. My skills are just a poor imitation to their genius.

No, the heel was by design.

I guessed as much... When it comes to design, sometimes symmetry is not the way to go although lutherie begs for symmetry. Symmetry is boring because it doesn't interest the eye but symmetry distributes the forces equally which is a good thing obviously.... I'm going to think about asymmetry a lot more now. Thanks Allen.

Top Bottom