Black or other colored strings?

Rob Uker

Reaction score
I'm building a all white ukulele and I would like to use black or a colored set of strings.
I've almost exclusively used Aquila's for the last 10 years, so I really don't know a lot about other brands and could use some advice.

I have Aquila’s Lava strings, and they are pretty much a dark grey. I also have a set of low G Lavas, and the C and G strings are wound.

Color wise dark grey sounds perfect.
Can you describe or compare the sound to standard Aquila's?

Color wise dark grey sounds perfect.
Can you describe or compare the sound to standard Aquila's?

Should be pretty similar. Fremont blacklines will give you a mellower sound...

Aquila Lava are the same as Supernylgut, just a different color. Carbon Black was supposed to be their answer to fluorocarbon.

I just watched a video review. I love the look of them. I’m more of a picker then a strummer. Given the unconventional shape of the uke I’m building, I like a string that gives a lot of volume.

Aquila Carbonblacks: grey, slightly rough surface to touch. Feels absolute nothing like fluorocarbon or nylgut for that sake. I dont like their sound.

Aquila Lavas: Similar to nylgut, but dark grey. I like them.

Fremont Blacklines: Black fluorocarbon strings. They are awesome.

Worth Browns: Brown fluorocarbon strings. I love their sound.

I used the Worth brown strings before and I really liked them. Usually color isn’t a deciding factor in my string choice but this uke has a very Mod look and charcoal grey sounds very appealing.

Haven't used them but the Outdoor Ukulele website has colored Aurora and Aquila Kids strings.

We use the Aquila KIDS on all of our school ukuleles. They are basically colored Super Nylgut, and are packaged to fit soprano through tenor. DR is making some similarly colored strings with what appears to be a nylon blend...the strings feel a little softer, the colors aren’t quite the shades of the KIDS. The DR strings are holding up okay in classroom use, but do seem more suseptible to stretching. We’ve had some breakage on the blue string on the KIDS strings—but our ukuleles suffer A LOT of abuse from 340+ students and Aquila has been fantastic in supporting us with discount pricing in bulk for schools.

Aurora sells sets of colored strings (see Amazon) I have never tried them, so I cannot speak to their make-up, sound, or durability.

I am also using Aquila Kids on my teaching ukes. They sound good and hold tune well.
The ukes are Ohana sopranos. I have a set on my tenor I use in class.

I have the Carbonblacks on three different ukes and like them quite a bit. I tried them on two other ukes where they didn't work for me.

...use the Aquila KIDS on all of our school ukuleles.

I say do this. You get four different colors. Maybe even look at those tuners sold with four varying colored buttons. Go nuts.

I’m going to try the LAVA strings.
Thanks for all the feedback.

I went with the LAVA strings because I thought they would look better on the white finger board. They sound a lot better then the old black GHS strings I used to use.Thanks for the advice.012.jpg You can see more pictures and hopefully a video of this uke on my facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/RIGuitars

Those strings suit that instrument. I have a black pono electric that sports Aquila reds, Blacklines might get lost against the background.

Top Bottom