NUD: How I Kidnapped a Custom Farallon

I'm not sure I should congratulate to your successful kidnapping, considering that you will meet up with me and my Moore Bettah soon... :eek:

Lovely playing, we can play that song together when we meet - looking forward to it!

I have always said I prefer the look of my Carbon Fabric Blackbird , (downupdave )Dave probably thought the Farallon is safe in my care when he is on vacation. It would have been safe if curiosity did not get the better of me.

Dave has gone through 6 string changes to found this perfect set . It’s a combination of Thomastik wounds and classical nylon guitar strings for the trebles. To say the least, the sound blew me away.

Just as other members commented, Farallon is way up there with my custom built ukes (sorry LFdM and Ko’olau). While he was gone, I simply could not put this baby down.

This is a custom built Farallon features side sound port , strings through bridge with radius fretboard. Dave waited a very very long time because of the upgrades.

Here is the story :

Dave knows whenever I buy one uke, another one must go. He gave me a challenge that is if I find a buyer for one of my ukes while he is away, this one is mine.

I wish I could see his face when he read my text that I sold one of my ukes exactly 24 hour after he left . A gentleman he is, he kept his promise so this is how this Farallon joined my uke family. I don’t blame him if he removes me from his baby sitter list and by the way, I have not paid him yet this is why I said I kidnapped a Farallon.

Here is a short video showing off my new used uke that still has the new uke smell because Dave takes care of his instruments like a new born baby!

Lovely playing Brenda. You should kidnap more of Dave’s ukes. :)

WOW I did not expect to see so many responds here.
Thank you for reading and watching the video.
Most of all , I am grateful for your compliments and took the time to make comments.

I have just uploaded a second video using the Farallon . This is how much I like this instrument and I do surprise myself .
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?132161-MENUETT-Bach-Low-G

Robin : I hope you realize your DeVine is in danger .
Rainer : I like to TOUCH the MB. It would be quite nerve racking to play it. RISA stick is coming to meet you;). :eek:

I should be DONE with my UAS . Already bought three not counting the new Baritone from December (Custom pineapple is arriving tomorrow) and we are not even into April yet. March seems to be my favourite buying month so I am glad March is coming to an end.

Last edited:
Note to self..."Don't let Brenda babysit my Farallon when I travel." ;-)

The first time I tried to watch video I got a message saying I was restricted. Was it something I said? LOL. It worked the second time. Nice job! I have been toying with Corey’s version of that song and find the timing very challenging.

I agree with Dave’s assessment, but I find that to be true of most all linear tuned ukes (better fingerstyle and chord melody than strummed).

BTW, I've got Carbonblacks on mine and love the tone. Still, I need to experiment with some other strings at some point. Will likely try Oasis next.

Last edited:

The first time I tried to watch video I got a message saying I was restricted. Was it something I said? LOL. It worked the second time. Nice job! I have been toying with Corey’s version of that song and find the timing very challenging.

I agree with Dave’s assessment, but I find that to be true of most all linear tuned ukes (better fingerstyle and chord melody than strummed).

BTW, I've got Carbonblacks on mine and love the tone. Still, I need to experiment with some other strings at some point. Will likely try Oasis next.

Tell me about it, Brenda still has two more of mine at her house. I was thinking of possibly selling the Weber tenor and Mya Moe baritone. Maybe if I leave them there long enough she will buy those as well:biglaugh:

Eddie I would pay you to babysit your collections. It's too tempting. :drool:
Dave told me to try Oasis warm ... I may or I may not. It is good as it sounds so I will let you try it first then let us know . Thanks in advance.

Tell me about it, Brenda still has two more of mine at her house. I was thinking of possibly selling the Weber tenor and Mya Moe baritone. Maybe if I leave them there long enough she will buy those as well:biglaugh:

Dave, you need to wait for March 2019. I exceeded my quota but I don't mind you leaving them here till 2019. ;) I have lots of room.
My pineapple just arrived.

You say you are using Hannabach 815 Silver Special Medium tensions for the E and A strings. Which strings do those correspond to in the Stringsbymail catalog? I'm assuming it's not the E and A classical guitar strings...

You say you are using Hannabach 815 Silver Special Medium tensions for the E and A strings. Which strings do those correspond to in the Stringsbymail catalog? I'm assuming it's not the E and A classical guitar strings...

It is the (E) 1st and (B) 2nd for the A1st and E 2nd on the Farrallon. See picture below of the (B) 2nd package. You just use the 1st and 2nd position strings from classical guitar to 1st and 2nd position on a tenor uke tuned GCEA.

I cant take credit for this idea. Two very knowledgeable members had done this before me. Hannabach nylons start at extra low tension- low tension- medium tension and continue up from there.

20180325_181435.jpg

Last edited:

This is the set-up I have on my Farallon, with the only difference being I am using the super high tension Hannabach trebles. I have slowly transitioned to playing nylon trebles almost exclusively these days, and the Hannabach's are the sweetest sounding ones I have found! The diameter on them is noticeably bigger (compared to fluorocarbon), and takes some getting used to, but well worth the adjustment for my ears . . .

Nice playing as always Brenda!

Last edited:
Top Bottom