Ohana composite body ukulele

RafterGirl

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Ohana CK-70RB? Solid spruce top with composite round back body. I’m always on the lookout for a new camping uke. The Romero ST concert in spruce top/ laminate body is a strong contender but won’t be available until summer. I came across the CK-70 RB while browsing Mim’s Ohana offerings. I’m not interested in a Flea or Fluke.

Looks great!
I cannot comment on the uke itself, but I do have some experience with moulded round backs.
To be honest, I am not a fan, mainly because the uke slips away while playing.

My camping uke is a white Makala Dolphin, it's durable, loud enough for around the fire, and because of the color I can find it in the dark :)

Last edited:
Looks great!
I cannot comment on the uke itself, but I do have some experience with moulded round backs.
To be honest, I am not a fan, mainly because the uke slips away while playing.

My camping uke is a white Makala Dolphin, it's durable, loud enough for around the fire, and because of the color I can find it in the dark :)
Thanks. I was wondering about that round back shape. The current model is gloss which might make it even worse. I also wondered if if would be bulkier than a standard back shape. My current camping uke is an Islander AS-4 laminate soprano which really does sound great. I'm just always on the lookout for something different, maybe louder, or fuller sounding. I thought my UAS was in remission......but maybe not.

Enya makes an HPL (formica) body soprano with a removable neck.
may be worth looking into :)

I bought one from a UU member and I enjoy playing it.
he had reshaped the neck and added a personal sound hole.
It sounds a bit 'bassier' to me, but I like a more mellow sound. :)

I took it on my most recent trip to HNL (stuffed into a thinner
Martin gig bag) and I've been using it almost exclusively since
getting it :)

being (to me) 'bassier', it doesn't have a punchy volume level
for stronger song leading. I use it for smaller classes and for
playing in more intimate surroundings so as not to disturb
others nearby.

that's not to say it lacks volume. it's just that I am used to a
louder uke for formal song circle leading (so I can be heard
by practically everyone).

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
I find them over priced myself. I say that because in the U.K. you can get the exact same uke, but rebadged Clearwater for a fraction of the price.

I had one way back when. I liked it -- sounded good, etc.

Perhaps important: it's rounded back makes it somewhat slippery to hold on to.

:2cents:

I had & sold a Bonanza HPL concert that had been my camping uke. It was heavier & did lack volume. I tried different strings & the Southcoast helped a little with the volume. I switched to the Islander AS-4 to get a more compact uke for packing inside my sea kayak. Overall, it's a great uke. I do prefer concert scale, and I'm always looking for a uke with good volume since I'm mostly playing solo when I'm paddling & camping. The Ohana caught my eye because of the composite with a solid top & Uke Republic described it as a very loud ukulele. I didn't care for the Kala Waterman at all, so I've stayed away from plastic/composite ukes. Just thought I ask about the Ohana out of curiosity. I just need to be patient & save up my pennies for the Romero ST spruce top when it becomes available.

One of my jamming friends (a music teacher) bought one for Christmas. She likes it. Also uses a strap, so slipping may have been an issue. I'm a fan of Ohana's instruments generally. It won't be as weather-resistant as a Flea or Fluke or Outdoor, even so.

I wasn’t aware that the concert Flea is actually a long neck soprano of sorts (same body as the soprano). The specs look good, but two things are holding me back on it. #1 - the neck looks flat and square. I recently bought & then sold a Famous brand long neck soprano because I didn’t like the flatter more squared neck. #2 - the price. I would want the wood fretboard and upgraded tuners which would put me over $400. My budget is $200 - $300 max. I know people really love the Fleas and I know it would be super sturdy. Do they sound good enough to justify the price?

I dont have a flea, but I do have a fluke.
It is probably my best sounding ukulele, with lots of sustain, volume and clarity.
However, it is slippery to handle with the molded rounded back. Even with a strap. And the neck is more like chunky and square rather than flat and square. That takes some getting used to.

My Fluke has the stock plastic fretboard. It's nearly indestructible and sounds wonderful.

The solid wood fretboard would make the Flea less weatherproof. (So would a koa or spruce top.) I'm not sure what MFC charges for the upgraded Grover 4s (rather than the Planetarys), but with the stock fretboard a Flea still should be south of $300. I swapped out the stock Grovers for Grover 6s on my own and like them a lot more, but they're still frictions.

Fleas and Flukes project well and sound great. If you don't like the square neck, though, you probably wouldn't like it any more even with all the bells and whistles.

I'm trying to set up a test drive of a friend's Fluke to see what I think about the neck. Thanks for all the input about them.

I love my Fluke. I always use a strap on any ukulele I play so slippery backs are not an issue.
Mine has the standard friction tuners which work well enough.
(I also have a MFC Firefly banglele with Peghead tuners and really like them, but they are $$$$$.)
You can always find a Flea/Fluke used for your budget, Reverb, Ebay, or here.
Mine is LOUD and BRIGHT, its my favorite ukulele by far.

I wasn’t aware that the concert Flea is actually a long neck soprano of sorts (same body as the soprano). The specs look good, but two things are holding me back on it. #1 - the neck looks flat and square. I recently bought & then sold a Famous brand long neck soprano because I didn’t like the flatter more squared neck. #2 - the price. I would want the wood fretboard and upgraded tuners which would put me over $400. My budget is $200 - $300 max. I know people really love the Fleas and I know it would be super sturdy. Do they sound good enough to justify the price?

You are going to get mixed opinions on this. The neck is in fact flat and square. The sound is not my favorite, but it is loud. I feel it is much overpriced for what it is. And if you get the plastic fretboard you will find it very difficult to see the frets.

Anyone have experience with the Ohana CK-70RB? Solid spruce top with composite round back body. I’m always on the lookout for a new camping uke. The Romero ST concert in spruce top/ laminate body is a strong contender but won’t be available until summer. I came across the CK-70 RB while browsing Mim’s Ohana offerings. I’m not interested in a Flea or Fluke.

The best thing you can do is to call or email Mim ( MimOnTheUke@aol.com ), and ask for a demo. She will play the instrument for you, discuss the pros and cons of the instrument, and talk about alternatives within your price range.

I have purchased 3 ukes from Mim, have another that I got used that was purchased from Mim, and have sent several folks to her for ukuleles. We are all return customers.

She has never steered me wrong, has suggested less expensive instruments sometimes when I've asked about something specific, and the setups are all perfect.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom