Gotoh Tuners on Kiwaya

Nice, looks great Jerry! I love UPTs, so accurate and smooth. What model Kiwaya did you install them on?

I recently got a Kiwaya KS-1, and had a spare set of used UPTs here. I was waiting for the right uke to install them on. Once I determined that the KS-1 was a keeper, I put them on. Pretty sure the Kiwaya ukes come with Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners, which aren't bad, but the UPTs are still miles better.

UPT-2.jpg

UPTs.jpg

Love the UPTs. I swapped them on my Kamaka--best decision ever. They are a joy to use. Wish they weren't so pricey--they would sell many more at a better price point in my opinion.

Nice, looks great Jerry! I love UPTs, so accurate and smooth. What model Kiwaya did you install them on?

I recently got a Kiwaya KS-1, and had a spare set of used UPTs here. I was waiting for the right uke to install them on. Once I determined that the KS-1 was a keeper, I put them on. Pretty sure the Kiwaya ukes come with Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners, which aren't bad, but the UPTs are still miles better.

View attachment 107438

View attachment 107439

Looks good!

That color combo of the gold and the buttons looks sweet on that uke!

I have The Gotoh UPT-L tuners installed on a concert Flea, as well as my Martin OXK, and love them.

My tenor koa Fluke came with PegHeds (bought used here on UU) and those are great too, but on the Fluke/Flea headstock they stick out to the each of the sides about 6mm more than the UPT-L tuners.

I despise and refuse to use friction tuners (let's not start another Holy War and remember "to each his own"), so I am grateful that we have other options with a similar look.

I agree with others that if the prices were even just a bit lower that these planetary-geared tuners would sell more.

I agree with others that if the prices were even just a bit lower that these planetary-geared tuners would sell more.

Just remember that Hawaii Music Supply sells them for $27 less than Japan, and you don't have to wait two months.

I have a Koaloha soprano with their own friction tuners, and I'm going to keep them. I think it would be like making the sound hole round to change them. : )

Just remember that Hawaii Music Supply sells them for $27 less than Japan, and you don't have to wait two months...

I dont want to bad-mouth HMS, but personally, I'd prefer to source the Gotoh UPT-L tuners elsewhere.

There are 4-5 other USA vendors that sell them for ~$59/set, as well as https://japarts.ca which is the official North-American distributor, that has said from the date of order you'd get them in about 3 weeks to your door.

I dont want to bad-mouth HMS, but personally, I'd prefer to source the Gotoh UPT-L tuners elsewhere.

There are 4-5 other USA vendors that sell them for ~$59/set, as well as https://japarts.ca which is the official North-American distributor, that has said from the date of order you'd get them in about 3 weeks to your door.

"This site can’t be reached"

See if this works.

http://www.japarts.ca/

That's where I got mine and paid $86, delivered in two months.
http://www.japarts.ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-UPT.asp#UPT-G-Gold

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a Martin OXK and installing the Gotoh UPT's on it. How was it putting them on there? I know the material on those headstocks are different so I wasn't sure how that would work. Did the holes line up or did you have to drill new ones? Thanks

Booli, does the Martin OXK require the longer UPTL tuners, or do you just like longer tuning posts?

My OXK needed the longer UPTLs. Also be sure to use a reamer because a drill bit will grab and tear the headstock wood.

I'm thinking of getting a Martin OXK and installing the Gotoh UPT's on it. How was it putting them on there? I know the material on those headstocks are different so I wasn't sure how that would work. Did the holes line up or did you have to drill new ones? Thanks

I got a cheap, basic reamer from Amazon, but you can pay much more for an "official" one from Stewart MacDonald. I love those Gotoh tuners, but they are difficult and expensive to get. When you order them from Japan, they make them then and there. You can also order them from Hawaii Music Supply, but their supply is limited. They charge $59 plus $20 shipping (I think). When I ordered them, I told them I wanted long, and I would accept any color. There are fourteen different types, so they can't stock multiples of each one. I've done two or three ukes with them, and I've always used the Longs. Better a mm too long and a mm too short.

If you do a uke with a slotted headstock - like a Fluke or a Flea - you have to use a drill because of the shape of the head. When I use a reamer, I ream from both sides of the head. Otherwise, one side of the hole would be wider than the other. I was careful and had no trouble using a drill, but maybe I was just lucky. Taking your time and going slowing is best. As for the holes lining up, yes they did. I'm planning to put Gotohs on one or two more ukes, but I'm particular about the color, so I might have to order from Japan.

You need to ream holes larger on the 0XK. I enlarged mine to 10mm, and the Gotoh UPT-L tuners fit right in.

I would NOT use a drill on the Martin 0XK headstock, it is harder for me to control and with a reamer it only took me about 10 full rotations of the reamer on each hole, and maybe 20 mins in total to do all 4 holes.

Booli, does the Martin OXK require the longer UPTL tuners, or do you just like longer tuning posts?

My OXK needed the longer UPTLs. Also be sure to use a reamer because a drill bit will grab and tear the headstock wood.

Yes, the shorter shaft UPT tuners will NOT fit the headstock of the Marton 0XK nor any Fluke or Flea, you need the longer shaft UPT-L version. I agree also that power tools are overkill for this installation.

I got a cheap, basic reamer from Amazon, but you can pay much more for an "official" one from Stewart MacDonald. I love those Gotoh tuners, but they are difficult and expensive to get. When you order them from Japan, they make them then and there. You can also order them from Hawaii Music Supply, but their supply is limited. They charge $59 plus $20 shipping (I think). When I ordered them, I told them I wanted long, and I would accept any color. There are fourteen different types, so they can't stock multiples of each one. I've done two or three ukes with them, and I've always used the Longs. Better a mm too long and a mm too short.

If you do a uke with a slotted headstock - like a Fluke or a Flea - you have to use a drill because of the shape of the head. When I use a reamer, I ream from both sides of the head. Otherwise, one side of the hole would be wider than the other. I was careful and had no trouble using a drill, but maybe I was just lucky. Taking your time and going slowing is best. As for the holes lining up, yes they did. I'm planning to put Gotohs on one or two more ukes, but I'm particular about the color, so I might have to order from Japan.

I have installed the UPT-L tuners also on my concert Flea. You can see the info regarding the full details of the end result with photos in the Magic Fluke Company megathread, which is linked via my forum signature below.

I would never use a drill on a Fluke or Flea headstock, for they are only about 15mm thick front-to-back and with a 10mm hole for the Gotoh UPT-L there is very little wood on each face of the headstock and if your drill bit wobbles it is very easy to tear out the hole.

Hand tools are much easier for me to control, and I do not have a workbench or vise to use. I simply held the uke between my knees while supporting the neck with one hand, and gently turning the reamer with the other.

The 'top hole' where the tuner's nut goes does NOT need to be 10mm, only the hole with the button-side of the tuner.

On Fluke and Flea headstocks the 'inner' hole of ~6.5mm is already large enough for the shaft and nut without any modifications required to make it fit.

The 'top hole' where the tuner's nut goes does NOT need to be 10mm, only the hole with the button-side of the tuner.

On Fluke and Flea headstocks the 'inner' hole of ~6.5mm is already large enough for the shaft and nut without any modifications required to make it fit.

Good to know about the holes.

I put Grover geared tuners on my Fluke.

130.jpg 129.jpg

I just ordered a set of Gotohs for my Pono MGS. I was debating on having my local luthier do the install for $50 or buying a tapered reamer and doing it myself. I may be leaning slightly towards having the luthier do it. Thoughts?

I just ordered a set of Gotohs for my Pono MGS. I was debating on having my local luthier do the install for $50 or buying a tapered reamer and doing it myself. I may be leaning slightly towards having the luthier do it. Thoughts?

Joel from HMS gives a full and detailed tutorial on installing them here.

Maybe once you are educated on the install process by seeing the video, you can decide how to move forwards?

https://vimeo.com/123455918

Top Bottom