Thread: Is USB mic upgrade worth it?

Default Is USB mic upgrade worth it?

I am contemplating upgrading my Shure MV5 USB mic to a Blue Yeti.
    I deliberately bought the Shure in stead of the Yeti because it was smaller, looking less messy on my desk, but now I am courious how much better the Yeti might sound.

Is the improvement in recording quality worth having extra electronic gadgets taking up space, or should I just stick to the Shure untill I decide to go all the way and get an interface and a real mic?

And If I power my USB mic with an on-the-go-cable from a tablet, will I even get the full benefit from a USB mic? I remember the Shure having very low recording levels when using it with my phone, but I am not sure how much difference there is between PC and tablet. So perhaps a better device is more important than the microphone?
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

my oldest videos were done with a blue yeti. it was competent. Only downside is that I had the gain at about 8 o'clock(nearly all the way down) to make it not pick up my breathing and mouse farts. I have since gotten a focusrite interface and traded in the yeti to get a sm57 which I am happier with. YMMV
    Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddyJesusSmokes
    http://www.reverbnation.com/musician/ohmless
    Ukulele start date: November 1st, 2013
    Cordoba 15CM concert uke

I just use a Samson USB mic plugged into a standard desktop computer or laptop, (running Linux), & use Audacity to record from it.

(Audacity is free to download, & works on multi platfoms.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmless View Post
    my oldest videos were done with a blue yeti. it was competent. Only downside is that I had the gain at about 8 o'clock(nearly all the way down) to make it not pick up my breathing and mouse farts. I have since gotten a focusrite interface and traded in the yeti to get a sm57 which I am happier with. YMMV
    Perhaps I should skip the yeti then, and aim higher If I need more than the mic I have.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I just use a Samson USB mic plugged into a standard desktop computer or laptop, (running Linux), & use Audacity to record from it.

(Audacity is free to download, & works on multi platfoms.)
    I am not sure any of the Samson usb mics are big upgrades to the shure mv5, I think I would need to go Yeti or Rode NT.
    I use audacity too, on my pc.

I didn't mean it as an upgrade, just that that is all that I use.

I think your upgrade path is likely to be a pro performer quality mic & accessories - those Shure mics are highly regarded from what I've read.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I only use Shure MV88 plugged to my iPhone 7 Plus to make all my video. The sound quality is excellent. Cut out unwanted background noise. You can take a look at my video here to see the quality. Itís recorded in stereo mode.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...iel-Ho-s-album
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Thread Information