NUD - Kala Mahogany Baritone

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I haven't done a New Uke Day post in quite a while, but I just purchased a lovely Kala Baritone uke, and thought I would share a few photos, and sing the praises of Andrew and all the folks at theukulelesite.com.

This is my first Baritone ukulele and it feels pretty special. I never wanted a Baritone before, but some songs are just too high-pitched for me to sing with a regular ukulele. So instead of transposing them to different keys where they usually don't work as well, I figured I'd get a Baritone uke where I could play them the same way, but they'd automatically be pitched much lower. Makes sense, right?

Anyway, I started looking at Baritone ukuleles and found this sweet Kala KA-SMHB model at the Ukulele Site for a good price. It's all solid Mahogany, with Walnut fingerboard and bridge. I ordered it with a full setup, an LR Baggs 5.0 pickup, and a nice hardshell case as well. I'm ready to jump on stage, plug in, and perform!

Andrew's guys did their usual outstanding job. Joel's setup is spot on, the pickup was perfectly installed, and Zach's packing was superb! Really, it was packed for shipping better than any instrument I've ever ordered, and I received it exactly two weeks after placing my order online. I don't know how they do it, but Andrew and his team are the best in the business!

I'm very impressed with the build quality and the warm mellow tone of my new Kala Baritone. It's pitched the same as a guitar, but it doesn't sound like one. It sounds like a deep, warm, ukulele with lots of volume, resonance, and sustain. I love it. Seriously, if I'm not careful, I may get a bad case of Baritone UAS! :cool:

20180321_161424.jpg20180321_161706.jpg20180321_162637.jpg20180321_162310.jpg20180321_162104.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations, I have an all solid mahogany Kala Baritone as well. I am sure you will really enjoy it. I am envious of your pick-up. I have been thinking of getting one installed in one or both of my Baritones as well.

Hey welcome to Team Baritone! I've been playing mine for a good six years now, started with a Clearwater roundback and now use a Kala ASAC-B, going to upgrade again soon though
Completely agree about them being warm deep ukuleles, sometimes sopranos can just be too much. I could play bari forever

Love both my baritones tones, (cedar & spruce topped), just haven't be able to get along with the 20.125" scale. :(

Enjoy your new bari. :)

Last edited:
I have the exact same baritone which was also my first baritone ! Everyone played it love it. I have it for just over a year! It really has a very nice deep sound to it and so easy to play. Congratulations!
This thing is so solid and well built that I don’t get nervous when pulling it out of the bag.
However I am thinking of selling just because I have developed a fear of dark colour wood through no fault of the instrument! It’s just crazy me!
It’s definitely an excellent choice.
Good found! I strung mine with Aquila Red.

Last edited:
Baritone UAS?What are you talking about. (Ahem...)

Congrats on that instrument.Love to open headstock. Sound file when you can!

As everyone has said they as a great baritone, punches way above it's price tag. Congratulations and enjoy the baritone addiction:music:

Last edited:
Congratulations! I have been lusting over that one on HMS, too. I love the slotted headstock, the tortie binding, the sound clips, and the walnut fretboard and bridge. One day!!!!

Cool baritone. I have the tenor version of this uke and love it. I'm going to install a J&J pickup in it this weekend.

Top Bottom