NUD Enya Tenor Resonator Conversion

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I liked the idea of a resonator uke, so I started thinking about converting my Enya tenor. I got a good set with cone, cover, biscuit, and saddle from Bytown Ukuleles, and I got a lot information online.

The cover had holes for the strings, which I preferred to the separate piece to hold the strings. I was concerned about the strings being pulled against the edges of the metal, so I added a piece of wood below the holes. Good idea, but the strings kept slipping, so I put those plastic pins in there, and that made all the difference.

It's definitely louder than it was before the conversion, and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. The ukulele cost $55, and it cost another $95 to do the conversion.

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Looks pretty cool, Jerry! Is that the HPL Enya?

Great project and a job well done Jerry. I bet it sounds pretty nice and jangly, have you played resonator ukes before, if so how does this compare.

Cool. When I read headline of thread I assumed it would be a HPAL inversion. I can see it’s wood. Solid or Laminate? I would think HPL would be a perfect material for a resonator as most resonators have a metal body, or some kind of laminate depending upon the cost. My brief exposure to HPL is that if rigid and heavy which kinda fits nice with what a resonator wants. You might float the idea by Enya, see if they have interest. For quicker result and perhaps better response you should suggest same to the good people at Bonanza Ukuleles. They build with HPL a lot. They have a good reputation. Their HPL ukuleles are well priced. I’d bet they work with you to produce one..... if you wanted. I’d be curious how your sounds. Good for you taking on a priest like this. Sound sample?

I would think HPL would be a perfect material for a resonator as most resonators have a metal body, or some kind of laminate depending upon the cost. My brief exposure to HPL is that if rigid and heavy which kinda fits nice with what a resonator wants.
Unfortunately, there are two issues with the Enya HPL laminates. They are twice the price of the wood laminate, and the HPL is brittle and hard to cut. Make that three, because the HPL on the Enya sucks up the high frequencies, the opposite of what you want in a resonator.

Nice job, Jerry!

Top Bottom