Uke with rosewood top

I played a rosewood 5-string Compass Rose uke at Sylvan Music a few years back. I wasn't impressed - too guitar-like for me.

A couple of years later, same uke - great sound. I asked Rick Turner if the uke had changed, or if it was all me (since I had been playing less than a year when I encountered it the first time.)

He said it was most likely me, and that my experiences playing more often and multiple ukes had most likely opened my ears and expanded my horizons to where I wasn't expecting a particular sound or feel, but was looking forward to the experience.

Whatever the reason, it seemed to be a much better instrument the second time we encountered each other.

Anyway, Rosewood tops have a nice sound, at least to me.

-Kurt​

Yep, Jim, you're right, cocobolo is a type of rosewood, and yes, Cocobolo Ukuleles do quite well with it.
I agree with the person who posted about the ivory on the bridge. You couldn't give me a uke with anything ivory on it, I wouldn't be able to sleep with the thought in my head that an elephant died for its tusks, so someone could have that stupid stuff.

You have to wonder why he would have a starting price of $6,500. He could pay $6.00 (or whatever) and have a reserve price and have the bidding start at a more reasonable level.

Top Bottom