#319 Spring Soul

ohmless

Reaction score
Welcome to season #319. It is inspired from a minor tragedy that occurred. Last month my 35 year old Drifters Golden Hits cassette tape died that my now deceased father and I both listened to for ages. I also dreadfully missed the opportunity to contribute to the Summer Soul season that occurred a while back. I will have no regrets after this season is completed.

As I already have to order a new Drifters Golden Hits album off Amazon, the winner from the main playlist will get a taste of Michigan in the form of some new music from a new band from my local area named Greta Van Fleet. Anyone who loves classic rock will likely enjoy their album. They are frequently compared to Led Zeppelin in a derogatory way as if it is such a bad thing to be compared to such great musicians. The winner of the bonus playlist will get a slab of fresh fudge from a local shop that makes their own delicacies.

Main playlist entries will consist of soul songs from any period, originals with a soulful delivery, or songs that aren't soul songs but delivered in a soul style. And yes, finger style songs can be delivered in a soulful fashion in my opinion, but that doesn't matter as all that matters is if YOU find it emotionally driven. So essentially ANY SONG CAN BE COVERED as long as it delivers warm fuzzy feelings and smiles.

Bonus playlist will be a personal request. I would love to get people to cover songs from the Drifters Golden Hits album to tide me over until my replacement album arrives. Here is a playlist for the album: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6VJme_L98wIz0MS5-a1u0CE5Sl-sec9Q

RULES:

Entries are to be submitted to this thread for all our enjoyment starting from Sunday, March 25th (Midnight in Hawaii) until The end of the day Sunday, April 1st.

The limit will be 6 entries for the main playlist. Songs done for the Drifters playlist as well as collaborations will not count toward the limit so go crazy!

I will try my best but often mess up when commenting on every video and adding everyone to the playlists. If I fail to do either just let me know and I will remedy the situation. By the way, my youtube name is different than my forums name. I go by Harmony Smurf on youtube.

Feel free to do a song that is already covered. Great minds think alike and sometimes everyone wants to do the same song. It makes for a great week when multiple people cover the same song.

IF SOMEONE DOESN'T WANT TO BE ON THE PLAYLIST THEY MUST STATE SO ON THEIR ENTRY POST. I know many of you value privacy and don't want your entries public. I just don't want to do the runaround of asking each person if it is ok to be put on the playlist.

Please comment on the video preceding yours. It helps build community if we all give constructive and supportive comments to as many of the participants as possible. Thumbs up their video also in the same spirit.

I typically do a top ten list of my favorites from the week and choose by random draw from those. I will do this again for the main playlist, but ANYONE CAN WIN from the Drifters playlist!

#319a Main Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMaZgt105GF5RLxzLhHHNJ54TVem7X6A3

#319b Drifters Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMaZgt105GF5fs065q7Z1fNyjgCwQKrId

Last edited:
So soul is defined as any song that delivers warm fuzzy feelings and smiles? If so, I think I can manage that.

This idea sounds fantastic! Now that I have a webcam, I think I'll submit an entry this week.

yup. ANY song that expresses emotion is soulful to count this week IMHO. If in doubt just do it. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :D

If someone is very new to the uke or new to making videos, UU just did a youtube tutorial on how to do "Stand by Me" by Ben E King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9c4xXEGtLU

Greta Van Fleet - never heard of them before, (but have a very 70's Rock sound) - definately nothing wrong with modelling yourselves on a great band. :)

:rock::music:

Once upon a time I went to school discos, where soul music meant records by vocal groups in smart suits, The Drifters included. Among the others were The Trammps.

Here's one David Allan Coe did, written by Warren Haynes, who played guitar for Coe at one time.

People don't think of Donna Loren as a soul singer, but here's one I wore out the 45 of when I was a kid, it was one of mom's records. I loved this record, and it was fun to try it now.

Although Doris Troy wrote and performed Just One Look it is better known in the UK as a hit by the Hollies. I think Doris is far more soulful though.

My first contribution for season 319 didn't see the light of the day as a soul tune. It was written by John Fogerty and played by CCR.
But soul artists such as Solomon Burke and Ike&Tina Turner turned it into a real soul classic:

Amazed by the entries so far. People have really upped their game. Soon I will stink up the joint with my singing! :D

I probably will can the idea of picking a winner from a short list as I have been so impressed with everyone's entries so far. It would be impossible to do. How about I just pick people at random? haha

Somebody brought this to the uke jam a couple months ago. It's a great song to do as an ensemble.

Top Bottom