#319 Spring Soul

Thanks for fixing my post, redpaul1. Uh, how does one make that imbed thing happen?

Very good! I may have to record another tune soon so I can try it! Thanks, Omahu.

So here is another one. I think imbedding is going to work this time. Props to Pa. You are a true Paoriginal!

Was Ray Charles considered a soul singer.I think so

Certainly, stanat20, Brother Ray had incredibly deep soul. And your version was very tender and beautifully delivered. I especially liked the subtle soulful inflections you gave to the vocal.

(Now if someone can tell me how to make the little quote balloon appear when I reply to a post, I would be grateful.)

Last edited:
(Now if someone can tell me how to make the little quote balloon appear when I reply to a post, I would be grateful.)
Just click on the quotation sign, copy the words you want to quote and put them between the two QUOTES.

My second contribution like my first one is no soul song neither. But I wanted it to sound a bit as if it was recorded during a Stax sesseion.
Steve Cropper played a Telecaster on most of the Stax sessions. So did James Burton, the guitar player of the original version.
Now, if someone could remind me the name of the guitar player in the outro...:rolleyes:
I grabbed my Reverend Buckshot, which is close to a Telly and played a hopefully soulful version of Travelling Man.

Well another quick blast from me, the biggest challenge in playing this was the 'gripfill' I had still stuck to my fingers from work..........It sticks like s** to a blanket grrrrrr !!

Last edited:
I will add this one. What, an Everly Brothers song? But also recorded by Sam & Dave, Roberta Flack, Nina Simone, and many others. If you search on YouTube, I highly recommend a recording of Dusty Springfield singing it with Scott Walker. Yes, this song has soul.

Starting to feel out of my depth

As a non vocalist myself and having a bash at these songs by such great soul artists its definitely been a challenging season for sure...............

Last edited:
Early 70s Northern Soul classic from Tami Lynn. If you get the chance, do check this out on YouTube with some fantastic video from Soul Train. Eeh, they knew how to dress back in them days :D

I was inspired by Brian (Ukefoot) fantastic Delfonics cover to bring another bit of 70s Philly soul, this time from the Stylistics. I wasn’t about to try any Russell Thompkins falsetto though ;)

An original song in a soul idiom from me this week. We were up on the Costa Brava with the in-laws for a couple of days. Knowing the theme, I just picked up my uke, got down home and funky and this is what emerged. As soon as I got back home I raced to band in a box to add even more funky soulfulness to the recording.

Hope you enjoy it and hope I get time to record the other (slower) one I wrote yesterday before returning from the Costa too. Easter week is a busy, busy time!

Thought I'd try a Drifters tune, and I chose this one cause I'd never heard it before, nobody else has done it yet, and I got to use some falsetto on it. Those are all pluses in my book! lol Just how I'm wired. I worked this up quick, listened to it a few times, made up a little solo for it, and let it fly.

I played a bit around with multiple tracks this time.
I couldn't manage to make playback videos of it all, so there is just a taste of it. Very obvious playback...

I know I am pushing it, putting a Guitar in the background, but the Ukulele is playing most!

I hope it qualifies as soul. At least some artists classified as soul artists have covered it too.

Nearly brought to tears of joy with how successful this season has been so far. Thank you all!

Don't worry about be out of your depth. Just enjoy what you are doing and try to expand your abilities the best you can. It is all about learning and supporting each other here. Trust me when I say my singing voice is the worst on youtube and though I still do it for the fun of it, I mostly do it so I can accompany the uke. Please excuse me for torturing you all over the years with my singing! :D

Well,you did say that we could try to give a soulful delivery to any song...This one came to me while driving around, as I pondered the fact that when Black Sabbath first started playing together, they were a blues band (not called Black Sabbath yet, obviously), and then I just had to try it when I got home. So here's a blues/soul cover of a Black Sabbath classic...

Top Bottom