#319 Spring Soul

One of my all time favorite songs, originally by Jerry Butler, but it's been recorded by many over the years, and under different titles. I've dabbled with this song before, but never fully worked it up. This was basically my first take, I had one other for full disclosure that I messed the intro up on and quit like 10 seconds in, and this one is far from perfect, heck I was unsuccessful from holding back a cough towards the end, but I was feeling it here, and having fun, so I kept it.

I recorded this song last year during a Seasons week, and re-recorded it today. This is another record I absolutely wore out as a kid, was a big Clyde McPhatter fan. I did it in Eb last year, and moved it up to F today for this recording. McPhatter did it in F#. I didn't stick the ending like I wanted to, but I kept this take.

Before anyone starts this is not a soul song, just a song with emotion that gives you warm, fuzzy feelings.

This is by a band called Clean Bandit and I've wanted to do something with it for a while. I've at least tried to make it soulful.

Multitrack entry ." After Midnight " by JJ Cale. To me Soul is the essence of Rhythm and Blues (Real R and B lo l )so I may have gone a bit more that direction than the Soul sound ...One track of acoustic uke and me ...erm Thinging , probably best description of my vocals.....one fingerbass on the Alesesisisisis...(easy to start writing it buta bugger to stop !! ) V25 midi controller and then just for a larf as this is the music of the 70's one plugged in uke through a Snarling Dog expression pedal (read "Wahhh") all played to a midi drum track from Prosonic Studios ,available Free and as I am cheap...however http://www.prosonic-studios.com/midi-... try these out if you are inclined as am I, to the multi track midi nonsense.

I've not been around much lately as my best mate passed just over a week ago and he hasn't got much family so I've been tearing around doing stuff inbetween work...............anyways thought I'd poke my head in with this quickie for ya mate.............

Here's a Jim Lauderdale song I've loved for a long time. This seemed like a good week to try it out.

Sunday night is a bad time for me to record anything because my voice is always worn out by this time, but I thought I'd have a bash at this anyway. Blue-eyed soul.

Hahahaha- well that’s funny Joo...
Here is another version of the particular Sam Cooke song off the Drifters Golden Hits that seems rather popular this evening...

I first heard this one back in the early 70s by Dobie Gray. Like many great soul songs it has been sung by many since then.

In all modesty, I think that all my songs are sung soulfully, wth emotion...
That said, this theme was license to do whatever I wanted, and do it my way,,,
This song goes out to my boss who frequently quotes from it.

Actually, there ARERN'T that many songs about rainbows and what's on the other side. There's ONE!

Last edited:
Top Bottom