Kamaka 100 years anniversary Concert - should I buy

uketanzon

Reaction score
What do you guys think....

Have an opportunity to buy a Kamaka 100 year anniversay concert. 1916-2016....,hf-2 very nice figured wood, brand spanking new, never played, with logo anniverasy case , hang tags, warrenty cards...for $ 1200

fair market price?
ok buy?
Must buy?
steal?

What say you guys??. Input always helps in making my decision. always think of possible resale value.

Last edited:
I paid a bit more for my 100 year anniversary long neck tenor with spruce sound board. So I'd guess the price is fair--not a steal nor over-priced.

I am a bargain hunter when it comes to ukuleles. The original/current price is $1200 MSRP, so you are either buying it used (in new condition) or from a dealer that didn’t move it. While the model is collectible, the market hasn’t moved up on them yet—so I would be asking for a discount of some kind...but that would be me. Your wallet, your decision.

I think if I had that kind of dough, I might just jump on that one.
But I wouldn't ever buy an ukulele as as investment, cause I buy em to play the dickens out of them.

Do you need it, do you want it, is it worth that much to you, those are the questions to ask yourself.
How much does a regular one cost, is it the same, more, or less.
Will you lose value with it, or will it be a collector item, there's no telling really.
Whilst Kamaka has a really good reputation, it just costs far too much for me & my wallet, but you may be different. ;)

That's the price they were selling for all along, (for the concert), so it's not a sale price.

It's worth it only if you would like to play the HF-2, IMO. I personally don't expect there to be a market for collectors overall, (but what do I know?) There are still new 100 year anniversary models up for sale, like the one you posted at Willcutt Guitars, so the market seems to be saturated enough that they're not being grabbed right away.

IMO, the HF-2 is a great concert ukulele. Sounds great, is fun to play, and the one you posted looks lovely, too. If you're looking for a HF-2 and can afford the price, it would probably be enjoyable to have.

If you're looking at it simply in terms of reselling as a collectible, though, I'm not sure it's the best investment. Ukuleles aren't a big market in the first place, and with the rosewood fingerboard, there are restrictions on shipping out of the US, (someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong), so you'd have a tiny market for resale down the road. All my best guess, though. I'm never good at predicting the future.

I paid a bit more for my 100 year anniversary long neck tenor with spruce sound board. So I'd guess the price is fair--not a steal nor over-priced.

From the pricing of Kamakas that I've seen, the tenors always cost a bit more than concerts. The concert listed by the OP is what the anniversary model concerts sold for all along.

thanks for all the comments, for and against, it helped me make my decision. taking a pass....its just a ukulele when all is said and done, not a bargain, already have a 100 years soprano standard, do not need this, she is pretty but need to say goodby....at least for now.....

Last edited:
thanks for all the comments, for and against, it helped me make my decision. taking a pass....its just a ukulele when all is said and done, not a bargain, already have a 100 years soprano standard, do not need this, she is pretty but need to say goodby....at least for now.....

That's it. Fork over your UAS membership card! You are simply too rational to be suffering from the disease.

Just kidding. Sounds like the input was helpful and you are good with not getting it. Kudos for the discipline. Something else that will be truly compelling to you will come along at some point!

Top Bottom