Drinking with Rosie

S11LKO

Reaction score
Just sharing with you a quick run through of this song I just recorded for the first time just see if my phrasing of it works. 12 string guitar deliberately tuned slightly offset to try and give the feel of an old honky tonk type piano- which on just listening to it back I don’t think works.
If you need to, look up the couple of Cockney rhyming slang phrases used on the interweb.
As always, constructive criticism welcomed - I have very thick skin. lol

David, I liked it. Good vocals, and the guitar sounded more like you were using a chorus pedal than being out of tune.

A couple of lines after "she chinned him again" sounded to me like too many words trying to fit in the space.

I've never seen a uke video from you. Have I missed them?

Sounds good to me Dave.
At first I got a very slight impression of the old pipe organ sound in there, it's just enough to give it a hint of flavour but not so much that it sounds off, and in fact I think it does suit the song style well , according to your desires and intentions. Or maybe not, if you think so yourself. You could stretch it a bit more and you know this stuff is digital, so it can be re-done, or not. I don't think you'll get a piano sound from your 12-string guitar, you could stretch the limits a bit and see how it fares then decide again.
Well Done

Last edited:
Thanks Bill & Dean. Both your sets of comments appreciated and taken aboard for future efforts.
Dean, I love the uke, and I now own three as you will see from my post signature below, although in reality I’ve only just started to learn as I’ve had a few problems with my personal life over the last few months and have used that as an excuse to not apply myself. I really MUST get myself back into it.

When I first joined UU, I DID post a video of me using one at an open mic night a friend talked me into doing just after I bought my first ever uke, so it’s pretty rough, but you can see it again below if you so wish. I’ll hopefully post more uke ones soon if I’m ever clever enough. lol

Regards, Dave

Good Dave.
I haven't played a Uke at an Open Mic, I used to go to some and perform some songs with my Guitar but not for a few years now, I've got a Tenor and a Baritone with a pickup and EQ so should give it some consideration. I haven't played my Guitars much for quite a while, for me I need to apply myself to a few things including songs on Uke, Guitar, as well as other things too, it's a struggle sometimes but keep at it and try to fit some in regularly at least some each week, I've let my Guitar go too long, but I have been enjoying my Ukes, getting focused and staying focused can be a challenge for sure, and it's not just the music and songs, spending time figuring out recording and technology and other stuff takes time and effort too, so admittedly there's quite a bit involved in it all, and it can be easy to lose your track during difficult times many of us know. I'm getting my dentures next week, so I'm gonna have to practice speaking and hopefully singing again, have to see how that goes, so I don't even know what to expect in the future just yet.
Have you thought much about participating in the Seasons Of The Ukulele , you can find it in the contest section, there's a theme each week which is good motivation to find a song you possibly might not usually play, or maybe one of your favourites, it's good you would probably like it, good for your Ukeing.
The Music and Songs and the enjoyment at times makes it worthwhile, and it's always good when things go right and you can relish in your progress ;) and of course cherish those good times.

Last edited:
Dave:

I love the sound of that 12-string. Is Rosie that inflatable doll?:)

By the way, how did the gig with your daughter singing "At 17" go?

Luke

Haha Luke.
No mate. SHIRLEY is the inflatable doll.
Rosie is a shaven haired, Doc Martin booted, gin swigging, roll up cigarette smoking, street fighting, T-shirted, hoisted Levi wearing feminist type female. I obviously fell in love with her at first sight. lol
Luv n stuff, Dave

And Dean
I’ll look up the Seasons of the Uke as you suggest, thanks. Good luck with the new teeth!

Dave

Top Bottom