NUD Kimo super concert

@Rakelele, Hey Rainer I like bells and whistles too so it's a keeper

@Lapyang, Joesph thanks so much I am glad you like the sound, so do I.

@Osprey, I am really please with the appearance. Cliff.........he makes baritones as well, just sayin'

Last edited:
@good uke boy, Kevin thanks for the nice compliments. I am sorry I left the Farrallon club, but will always remain in the I'iwi club. How are you getting along with yours

@maki66, I am pleased you got a chance to play a Kimo. Where was that and how did that happen?

@Eddie Ukulele, I will be honest and say that sound sample doesnt do the instrument justice, neither did my playing. I literally rolled out of bed this morning and immediately recorded it on my phone. I rushed it and should not have, I'll get together with Brenda and use her equipment.

@Solorule, I am glad you like my new toy. Even though it is dark wood and frightens you, lol. The six of us were having too much fun to break up the dinner party and leave the table to record a ukulele. I will come by soon and use your stuff

Last edited:
@Jim Hanks, I would say you are correct about being in Barron River and Ono range. Kimo punchs way above the price tag for what you get.

@Alytw, Adam you need to get over here and check out my new toys before they keep multiplying. I swear to God these things are having baby's

@Croaky Keith, I was hoping you would like this one, thanks for the nice words. I know you are in love with super concerts, this one would curl your toes:p

Last edited:
@kvhe, Time for show and tell Kathryn.......I have done my part. Just joking thanks for the comments

@Steedy, tanks, bro.......no sideways pictures either

@Spiceysteve, I do appreciate your nice comments, you have a good eye for detail. Hank really does a good job on the big and little things

Last edited:
Also want to give props to Andrew at HMS for doing a smart design improvement to their line of Oahu cases. Hank supplied this case for my super concert. If you look at the pictures of the case in the open position notice the padding on top. The center has been hollowed out so the uke is only contacted around the perimeter, nothing is pushing down on the saddle and bridge. This is the best way to apply pressure to hold it in place without causing damage. Mya Moe, I'iwi, Ameritage to name a few have their cases designed this way.

20180327_183843.jpg20180327_183824.jpg20180327_183754.jpg

Last edited:
oh those woods, those WOODS!!!

really lovely looking and sounding uke.

Congratulations!

Congrats on an Excellent instrument Dave. The build looks really clean, nice precision on the details. Like you said, it does have a big sound. Pretty open sounding and unconstrained, pretty rare in a concert. Thanks for the sound sample.

My goodness, that is gorgeous! I’ve been following Kimo’s blogs for a while. Congratulations.
Joe

Congrats on an Excellent instrument Dave. The build looks really clean, nice precision on the details. Like you said, it does have a big sound. Pretty open sounding and unconstrained, pretty rare in a concert. Thanks for the sound sample.

Thanks for the compliments Hodge. You nailed it when you said unconstrained and open sounding. That has always been my tonal preference, it's what I think of as "guitar like". The body is deep at 3" compared the my Kamaka super concert at 2-5/8". There is also a pronounced arch to the back of the Kimo which I am sure aids in projection, it has big volume as well.

20180328_055232_001.jpg20180328_054929.jpg

Last edited:
@Ohio Bell, I am a sucker for beautiful woods as well. One of the best parts of having a custom built for you is when he starts sending you all kinds of pictures of different woods. I feel like a kid in a candy store.......I want this one, no this one, no this one.

@joeukulele, Thanks for the compliments. Kimo ukulele website is one of the very best for eye candy. As you know he has built a lot of ukes over the decades and having a write up and 4 or 5 pictures of each uke gives a pile of viewing pleasure for hours and hours.

Thanks for the compliments Hodge. You nailed it when you said unconstrained and open sounding. That has always been my tonal preference, it's what I think of as "guitar like". The body is deep at 3" compared the my Kamaka super concert at 2-5/8". There is also a pronounced arch to the back of the Kimo which I am sure aids in projection, it has big volume as well.

View attachment 107634View attachment 107635

Dave
Enough out of you. We addicts do not need more temptation ! Thanks goodness we live nearby. I can always visit to quench my thirst.
KIMO ukes are definitely eyes candy.

Such a great looking Ukulele ... I look forward to playing it ... Congratulations on a super Ukulele.

Dang, looks really good Dave! Must be getting hard to choose which one to play. I picked up the guitar last week and will have to do a NGD soon. The Sinker Redwood is such a nice sounding/looking soundboard.

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 25
Dang, looks really good Dave! Must be getting hard to choose which one to play. I picked up the guitar last week and will have to do a NGD soon. The Sinker Redwood is such a nice sounding/looking soundboard.

It is hard to choose but a great problem to have. I plan to live well into my 90's so lots of time to play them all.

Oh Patrick.........I am so glad you included pictures of your new baby. I would have hounded you for some anyways. It is fabulous and I am really happy for you

Last edited:
Such a great looking Ukulele ... I look forward to playing it ... Congratulations on a super Ukulele.

Yea dude stop working so much and get your butt over here to play it. I know you are real busy but the 10 minute drive ain't that tough:p

Nice Dave. I used to buy only super concerts and now I have none. I guess I will have to look at it again.

Clear distinct sound on this recording. I am not one to judge based on sound recordings, but it does SOUND GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Congrats on another fine purchase.

Nice Dave. I used to buy only super concerts and now I have none. I guess I will have to look at it again.

Clear distinct sound on this recording. I am not one to judge based on sound recordings, but it does SOUND GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Congrats on another fine purchase.

Thanks Lenny and it is always great to hear from you. I remember your "super concert exclusive days". Now you are a tenor man, so I am still but this Kimo has been a good experiment in a smaller body size.

What a beaut Dave! Congrats on another custom. . .

I was a bit surprised by the bright tone. I expected it to sound a bit darker with that beautiful Redwood top. Sounds great though, and is a reminder not to make assumptions.

Your playing has improved noticeably to my ears!

Last edited:
Top Bottom