Need to buy a case?

Yes, and that was the deciding factor. Spending that much for a uke, I didn't want to carry it around in a "bag." It's funny, but as expensive as that case was, the glued-on name plate fell off. :)

I know, I have a case for my Kanile'a from Kanile'a, it's a really nice sturdy case, but the handle is the weak point, it came apart. The location was also really awkward, it didn't balance very well. Kanile'a refunded me the cost and I took it to a luggage repair place and they relocated the handle and kind of fixed it, but it still comes apart.

Did anyone here get a smelly Musician's Friend case? Mine has a faint but noticeable odor to it. I can't even really describe the odor, it's not like any kind of solvent or toxic smell you might expect in glues or such. The first thing that came to mind when I smelled it was something like melon rinds. I don't know that I'd call it offensive but I want the case to smell like nothing and I don't want to impart that odor onto the uke. I've got it airing out outdoors right now in the 35 degree weather. Hopefully that will take care of it. If a couple of days of airing it out outdoors doesn't work I may have to take other measures.

Mine smelled like new plasticy glue, I just let it set outside opened for about 24 hrs, it's not bad now.

My case has been outside exposed to the air and intermittant sun for about 7 hours now. I gave it the sniff test and couldn't smell anything so that's a good sign but I was sniffing it in the open air and it was about 38 degrees outside. Now I put it in a garbage bag (case open) and plan to leave it out overnight so it will get about 12 hours of below freezing temperatures. I'll bring it back indoors tomorrow, let it warm up and then see if I can smell any odors.

Now I put it in a garbage bag (case open) and plan to leave it out overnight so it will get about 12 hours of below freezing temperatures. I'll bring it back indoors tomorrow, let it warm up and then see if I can smell any odors.

It won't air out in a garbage bag...if it's really bad, put a plate of baking soda in there, or better yet, sprinkle it around inside, then vacuum it out later.

It won't air out in a garbage bag...if it's really bad, put a plate of baking soda in there, or better yet, sprinkle it around inside, then vacuum it out later.

I put it in a garbage bag because I'm leaving it out over night and I won't be able to keep an eye on it. It's not supposed to snow but I'm not taking any chances. I thought it might be a good idea to give it a lengthy exposure (s/b about 12 hours) to below freezing temperatures over night. Maybe freezing it will kill anything that might be causing the odor. The odor isn't that strong and only mildly unpleasant but it is noticeable, it's unwanted and I don't want the uke to start smelling like that. When I checked it after sitting outside for 7 hours I really stuck my nose into the plush interior and I wasn't getting the odor. I'm just hoping that it isn't detectable once the case warms up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom