Sopranino Strings

Tenore76

Reaction score
I now have two sopranino ukuleles (thanks to UAS and cheap new brands...). One came with Aquila-type (Don't know for sure if they were actually Aquila brand), and the other came with fluorocarbons.

I really like the fluoros better (generally do on all my ukes), and want to replace the other set. Anyone know if there's a specific set of strings to purchase for sopraninos, or will regular soprano strings work? I haven't found anything in my searches...

My sopranino has D'addario titanium strings and sounds awesome. Don't be afraid to experiment with different tunings with whatever strings you end up with - mine is tuned in F.

I’m running Fremont Black Hard Strings on my Sopranissimo in an attempt to keep it in C. I don’t have problems with instruments in different keys, but I do like to play with others, and it is nice to be in the same key in those instances.

The “hard” strings are not really that hard in this application—not sure where I am at with the strings yet. More to come.

So to be clear, though...those are both "soprano" sized strings? I generally go with the dgbe tuning for sopranino...

I now have two sopranino ukuleles (thanks to UAS and cheap new brands...). One came with Aquila-type (Don't know for sure if they were actually Aquila brand), and the other came with fluorocarbons.

I really like the fluoros better (generally do on all my ukes), and want to replace the other set. Anyone know if there's a specific set of strings to purchase for sopraninos, or will regular soprano strings work? I haven't found anything in my searches...

I've been reading a lot about sopraninos lately, and I'm tempted. The more I think about them, though, the more I realize the small size would keep me from playing them. Money saved.

My Caramel came with Aquila soprano strings. Too slack in C, sounded best in something like E flat but I decided I wanted to put it in G (an octave above baritone, but reentrant) so put Southcoast XLU: Extra Light Gauge strings on.

My Ohana pineapple sopranino came with Aquila strings which is a brand of string I Never use. (from Mims). I was going to change with some fluorocarbons but these sound so good in regular tuning, I’m hesitating. I can easily play up to the 10th fret and it sounds good. A bit hard to get a good chime on 12 but that might be my poor technique. I’ve only had it 3 days so I’m still working things out. I notice when I’m picking it sounds better with a finger per string rather than the partial barre I do on 2 strings. I thought it was the fat strings? Hints?

Top Bottom