Rebel Elysium

UkeComa

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My playtime has been very limited on this impulse purchase. Basically I tuned it up to check the action and intonation and ensure there were no issues. As is typical of instruments from the Ukelele site, the set up was excellent.

I would describe the sound as mellow, warm and clean with very nice sustain. It's not a very loud instrument, it would likely get lost in a group setting, but on its own it would shine. Action is low and quick.

I always wanted a Rebel Alchemist, but they aren't easy to get. I passed on the 6 string version of the Elysium when it was released, but when I saw the 4 string come up, I decided this was my chance to own a custom Rebel.

The looks are beautiful and flawlessly done with so many little details. The Koa is coppery brown with very nice curl. The headstock is eye catching although someone else will have to test the bottle opener, I won't be getting beer anywhere near it.

Here's the original listing with better pics than I can take.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/rebel/rebel-elysium-custom-koa-tenor.html

That's a heck of a first post! How about some pics and thoughts on that Kimo

Wow! Absolutely adore the headstock shape and the birds on a wire fretboard inlay. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the very nice collection!

Congrats and welcome to UU! I've only played a few Rebel's and all were lower models than the Elysium and they had nice tone. The Elysium is on another level in terms of woods used and finish. Very beautiful! While I'm not wild about the headstock and would find the bottle opener useless, I think the tone is really nice.

For those tempted, a mango version just popped up on HMS. ;-)

Beautiful uke. I like the design aesthetics and the sound sample with low G tuning (by Corey).

CONGRATS on your Rebel Koa 4 string Elysium tenor! She's a BEAUTY!!!:drool: I love Rebel tenors!

I own a Rebel Circle of 5ths Curly Maple/Cedar slothead tenor that sounds wonderful and is a pretty light build and just acquired a Rebel Quark Rosewood/Spruce tenor that sounds wonderful as well.

I have been waiting for a Rebel Livingston Rosweood/Spruce tenor to come up for resale for a few years now ... but no luck. A Rebel Livingston Rosewood/Cedar did come up for resale in the past year, but I specifically prefer Spruce tops, so I passed on it.

Last edited:
Congrats, I hope it serves you well, Rebel is pricey...

I don't mean to be a sour face here, but Ukes from Thailand for the prices Rebel is asking, is a bit extreme... Hmm

Take a closer look, I think you'll realize that Rebel is delivering as much value here as in their other instruments. Check out the mitering work down at the tail—that's the luthier equivalent of stunt flying. They went out of their way to make it challenging, avoiding any 90 degree angles. Seriously impressive, and it's flawlessly executed.

Guaranteed, this uke took longer to build than anything the K-brands have on the Ukulele Site right now, including anniversary models going for $4k. Not only that, Rebel is making design choices no one else is. Asymmetrical everything? Sure! See-through headstock? Why not? Ebony binding on one side, koa on the other? Of course!

And finally, they only make a handful of these ukes. If they make another run, they will change it dramatically, they always do.

I can't even begin to guess what something like this would cost from one of the big Hawaiian makers. And the guys at Rebel were trained by KoAloha, and still build their Opio ukes, so there's no question about knowledge.

And no, I don't work for them. But I do have a Rebel uke on order, haha!!

I don't mean to be a sour face here, but Ukes from Thailand for the prices Rebel is asking, is a bit extreme... Hmm

have you played one of these Elysium Rebels or are you just guessing?

btw I have played everyone of the Elysium Rebels that has come out and they sound nice, deep rich tones..and perfect fit and finish worth the price IMO

Congrats UkeComa...:)

Last edited:
Like my brother before me I took a Rebel stand. I currently have four Rebels- soprano cheesecake (spruce/mahogany), soprano thin body (mahogany/maple fretboard), concert thin body (mahogany/maple fretboard) and a standard size concert (all mahogany (including fretboard). Love the sound and neck profile, very nice work.

Why even say this stuff? Please consider others before posting, this is very poor form.

Not sure what you mean by guessing, guessing at what, value?

I'm not against anything Rebel is doing, they seem like really nice Ukes, I was only expressing their price...

The world is changing, many great builders all around the world, and it really effects our views on value.

I'm only pointing out, some of Rebel's prices are not far off from big named K brands. You can buy a Kanilea and KoAloha for not a lot more then a Rebel, so does this mean anything, or nothing all. Actually, it's whatever a person is willing to pay is all that matters in the end, consumers deciding the value.

I think you're reading to deeply into this, on a very negative note too I might add. Relax, no one is trying to rain on their parade. Oh, next time you are in a very happy laughing mood, pretend you and your buddies are laughing it up and this is spoken, then how are you looking at it? See, it's the attitude that counts, so don't read so deep into forum chatter. Have a beer or smoke something next time you're reading, then everything will look happy... :)

Smile, is your cup half full or half empty?

P.S. I like very much what I'm seeing from Rebel, and when I have the extra money, I want to buy one too, but I still think they're expensive... :shaka:

Please put a little bit of thought & consideration into your responses, if you have nothing positive to add to the thread just don't say anything.

Relax, no one is trying to rain on their parade.

lol, come on, yes you totally were. Here's a hint: If you find yourself beginning a post by saying you don't mean to be a sourpuss, that's a good time to stop and think, "Wait, am I being a sourpuss?" Cuz you totally were.

And then you kept defending your negative — not really an opinion, since you have no first-hand experience, "speculation" is a more accurate word — even as people who had actually played Rebel ukes chimed in. You puff yourself up as one of the "players" vs" "collectors" who gets to sit in ultimate judgment of all things uke.... and then you wind it up by playing it all off like you are Mr. Full Glass, suggesting Camsuke should lighten up and smile more?

lol, dude, try a little self awareness... Wow. Anyway, sorry to derail, but some children who behave badly sometimes need to be reminded of proper table manners.

I actually came back to stare some more at the photos and hear the sound sample of UkeComa's new toy, because that thing is just wonderful!!!!

Last edited:
congratz on the Ukulele. I think it looks great with futuristic and classic looks. My favourite part is the extra feature on the head stock :)

"Once interesting aspect of this ukulele is the headstock can double as a bottle opener."

Top Bottom