String a mandoline like an 8 string barry?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have 2 8 string baritones which is my preferred uke size... for now (I change favorites from time to time).

So I came up with the idea of stringing a mandoline body like a baritone uke. Is this a reasonable possibilty or downright silly (I suspect it's the latter).

Is there any other 8 stringed instrument that I could convert to an 8 string barry set-up? I just want to play baritone style on an instrument that looks & sounds a bit different. Any ideas would be appreciated.

A mandolin is more like an 8 string Soprano with a very skinny neck rather than an 8 string baritone.

A Tenor Banjo is an instrument that could be converted to 8 strings I suspect for an 8 string baritone banjolele.

A Greek bouzouki is closer to what you want. It is an 8-string instrument tuned CFAD (C & F pairs in octaves, A & D pairs in unison), which becomes DGBE when you put a capo on the second fret. But getting used to that bowl back is a bit tricky.

- FiL

The mando would have to be strung with steel strings, since the bracing and other construction is too strong for resonating nylon strings (have tried!). Custom strings for the desired tuning may be available from EMando.com.

A mandola may be a better choice than a mandolin. Mandola tuning is usually CGDA while mandolin tuning is GDAE. Mandolas are normally a 17-inch scale length and can handle a "richer" sound better than a 14-inch scale mandolin.

An octave mandolin (20-inch scale) may be the best choice, but stil requires steel strings.

Top Bottom