Absolutely Perfect Cosmetically?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I've bought a couple of ukes that were reduced in price because they had imperfections or slight damage. "Slight" is an overstatement. Some day I'll have to go over my ukuleles with a magnifying glass and see if any of them are cosmetically perfect.

I figure saving $50 or more to get a uke that has a mark I have trouble finding is worth it. After several weeks or months of use, I imaging most ukuleles get a tiny mark or two.

Opinions?

Sounds good to me. If you buy an instrument as a player vs as a museum piece or as a collector, I think those marks only give it character.

'Seconds' are usually well worth buying. :)

So far, I haven't bashed any of mine, but I know the day will come, & whilst I will probably swear at the time, as long as no real damage happens, that's life.

Sounds good to me. If you buy an instrument as a player vs as a museum piece or as a collector, I think those marks only give it character.

Yes, character. The man who leads our Saturday group has a couple of very good Martins that are definitely well-used - and look it.

'Seconds' are usually well worth buying. :)

So far, I haven't bashed any of mine, but I know the day will come, & whilst I will probably swear at the time, as long as no real damage happens, that's life.

I'm afraid I just gave in and bought an Ohana SK-21A sopranino from Pennly Lane Emporium. It has a tiny dent on the back, so it was $179, delivered.

Last edited:
If I own it, it won't stay pristine for long anyway, so why not?

2nd's are especially great if the damage is on the back! That's the last place I am going to notice a scuff/dent/issue with the finish. I'd almost welcome one of those to save a few bucks.
Alternately, there's something to be said about buying 2nd's because psychologically they are already beat up/damaged/not-perfect. So in my mind that gives me freedom to not-baby it as much since it wasn't in mint condition initially (if that makes any sense)

2nd's are especially great if the damage is on the back! That's the last place I am going to notice a scuff/dent/issue with the finish. I'd almost welcome one of those to save a few bucks.
Alternately, there's something to be said about buying 2nd's because psychologically they are already beat up/damaged/not-perfect. So in my mind that gives me freedom to not-baby it as much since it wasn't in mint condition initially (if that makes any sense)

Right about that. I bought a soprano with a messed up back. I sanded and refinished it, and it's better, but far from prefect, which is fine with me.

I had a chance to buy a Córdoba’ second a few years ago at a deeply discounted price, about a 1/3 off. I cannot find any imperfections in it and it plays like a dream.

I'd be okay with a less than perfect uke if it was advertised and priced accordingly.

I'd be okay with a less than perfect uke if it was advertised and priced accordingly.

Yeah, sometimes you see vintage ukes listed on ebay or other sites where the instrument is in poor to fair shape at best and people are asking crazy $ for it. I sometimes see those and think REALLY? Just because it says Martin or Kamaka or whatever does not automatically negate huge issues.

I frequently buy seconds or blems, good deal. The first week I had my new Kala solid cedar/acacia glossy, I dropped it and cracked the finish on the edge of the head stock and lower bout. Makes it one of a kind.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
I think having tiny marks are inevitable. I am extremely anal about being careful not to ding or scratch my brand new ukes, to the point I am sure is robbing the enjoyment out of playing themes. I still find tiny unexplainable marks on those ukes from time to time.

Once I found an uke to be imperfect, I can then start to truly enjoy that uke.

So I actually like to buy used uke so I don't have to break it in.

I had a chance to buy a Córdoba’ second a few years ago at a deeply discounted price, about a 1/3 off. I cannot find any imperfections in it and it plays like a dream.

Which model Córdoba did you get? Does it stay in tune well?

Which model Córdoba did you get? Does it stay in tune well?

I got the 35T-CE. All solid Acacia Tenor with cutaway and LR-Baggs 5.0 pickup. It stays in tune well. I have the Craig Chee Bari-Tenor strings on it right now. Tuned like a Baritone with a high D. Sounds really nice. It dosn’t get played as much as it used to as I am primarily a Baritone player now. It was good value for money.

My first foray into ukuleles was when I got a secondhand Pono MBD that was marked as a "second" - and apart from a few extremely superficial strum marks on the finish (that you have to hold up to the light a certain way to see), I could find no flaws, scratches or dents whatsoever on it, even using a magnifying glass, that would make it a "second". I was a little miffed that it had been so deemed by the factory, except for the great price I got it for.

bratsche

Top Bottom