Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely Perfect Cosmetically?

Default Absolutely Perfect Cosmetically?

I've bought a couple of ukes that were reduced in price because they had imperfections or slight damage. "Slight" is an overstatement. Some day I'll have to go over my ukuleles with a magnifying glass and see if any of them are cosmetically perfect.

I figure saving $50 or more to get a uke that has a mark I have trouble finding is worth it. After several weeks or months of use, I imaging most ukuleles get a tiny mark or two.

Opinions?

Sounds good to me. If you buy an instrument as a player vs as a museum piece or as a collector, I think those marks only give it character.

'Seconds' are usually well worth buying.

So far, I haven't bashed any of mine, but I know the day will come, & whilst I will probably swear at the time, as long as no real damage happens, that's life.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    Sounds good to me. If you buy an instrument as a player vs as a museum piece or as a collector, I think those marks only give it character.
    Yes, character. The man who leads our Saturday group has a couple of very good Martins that are definitely well-used - and look it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    'Seconds' are usually well worth buying.

So far, I haven't bashed any of mine, but I know the day will come, & whilst I will probably swear at the time, as long as no real damage happens, that's life.
    I'm afraid I just gave in and bought an Ohana SK-21A sopranino from Pennly Lane Emporium. It has a tiny dent on the back, so it was $179, delivered.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 03-28-2018 at 05:58 AM.

If I own it, it won't stay pristine for long anyway, so why not?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

2nd's are especially great if the damage is on the back! That's the last place I am going to notice a scuff/dent/issue with the finish. I'd almost welcome one of those to save a few bucks.
    Alternately, there's something to be said about buying 2nd's because psychologically they are already beat up/damaged/not-perfect. So in my mind that gives me freedom to not-baby it as much since it wasn't in mint condition initially (if that makes any sense)
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    2nd's are especially great if the damage is on the back! That's the last place I am going to notice a scuff/dent/issue with the finish. I'd almost welcome one of those to save a few bucks.
    Alternately, there's something to be said about buying 2nd's because psychologically they are already beat up/damaged/not-perfect. So in my mind that gives me freedom to not-baby it as much since it wasn't in mint condition initially (if that makes any sense)
    Right about that. I bought a soprano with a messed up back. I sanded and refinished it, and it's better, but far from prefect, which is fine with me.

I had a chance to buy a Córdoba’ second a few years ago at a deeply discounted price, about a 1/3 off. I cannot find any imperfections in it and it plays like a dream.

I'd be okay with a less than perfect uke if it was advertised and priced accordingly.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Thread Information