Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absolutely Perfect Cosmetically?

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    I'd be okay with a less than perfect uke if it was advertised and priced accordingly.
    Yeah, sometimes you see vintage ukes listed on ebay or other sites where the instrument is in poor to fair shape at best and people are asking crazy $ for it. I sometimes see those and think REALLY? Just because it says Martin or Kamaka or whatever does not automatically negate huge issues.

I frequently buy seconds or blems, good deal. The first week I had my new Kala solid cedar/acacia glossy, I dropped it and cracked the finish on the edge of the head stock and lower bout. Makes it one of a kind.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Last edited by kohanmike; 04-08-2018 at 07:28 AM.

I think having tiny marks are inevitable. I am extremely anal about being careful not to ding or scratch my brand new ukes, to the point I am sure is robbing the enjoyment out of playing themes. I still find tiny unexplainable marks on those ukes from time to time.

Once I found an uke to be imperfect, I can then start to truly enjoy that uke.

So I actually like to buy used uke so I don't have to break it in.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, Kala Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I had a chance to buy a Córdoba’ second a few years ago at a deeply discounted price, about a 1/3 off. I cannot find any imperfections in it and it plays like a dream.
    Which model Córdoba did you get? Does it stay in tune well?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
    Which model Córdoba did you get? Does it stay in tune well?
    I got the 35T-CE. All solid Acacia Tenor with cutaway and LR-Baggs 5.0 pickup. It stays in tune well. I have the Craig Chee Bari-Tenor strings on it right now. Tuned like a Baritone with a high D. Sounds really nice. It dosn’t get played as much as it used to as I am primarily a Baritone player now. It was good value for money.

My first foray into ukuleles was when I got a secondhand Pono MBD that was marked as a "second" - and apart from a few extremely superficial strum marks on the finish (that you have to hold up to the light a certain way to see), I could find no flaws, scratches or dents whatsoever on it, even using a magnifying glass, that would make it a "second". I was a little miffed that it had been so deemed by the factory, except for the great price I got it for.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Thread Information