FS Stradele - As New - CONUS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimmer

Reaction score
I received this wonderful Strad ukulele direct from the builder, Joel Eckhaus, in October 2014. It has not left my house since the day it arrived, and it hasn't been played by any hands but my own. It is in new condition. Plays and sounds great, no issues whatsoever. Strads are concert-sized ukes with a somewhat slim body. I play both concert and soprano ukes, and the Strad feels somewhere in between those two sizes on my chest, but the scale length is definitely characteristic of a concert uke. The tone is very clear and open. Strads are amazing for fingerstyle but also strum wonderfully. I will post a video of me playing this uke, but to hear what Strads can do, check out YT videos of John King, Rob MacKillop, and Ukulele Tim - they all have performances on this same model.

Specs: This is a standard Strad so you can check out the specs on the Earnest Instruments website. This one has Joel's usual top and back combo, with a spruce top (nice bearclaw) and curly mahogany back and sides. Ebony fingerboard and bridge, side dots on 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 and 14th frets. Satin finish, PegHeads, and a Guardian hardshell case are the other features.

Price is $1400 plus $75 CONUS shipping. PM if interested - you should be, this is a sweet instrument. I am playing banjo these days, and only keeping one non-vintage uke - it was down to the Strad vs the Glyph. A tough call, but the Glyph has sentimental value, so the Strad is available.

Better pictures below. Please note the new picture showing the concert scale length.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9c8rp6jk8p1gm1b/AAAHtKXK_HUZrMRTyucILLzOa?dl=0

PRICE LOWERED TO $950 plus shipping

Attachments

• Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Full Frontal.jpg
    Full Frontal.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
WOW! Good luck with the sale.

Very nice! I don't think I'd want to be strumming Ain't She Sweet on that beauty! :D

Why not? Joel does!

(Ain't She Sweet is one of the tunes he teaches in workshops...)

DAYUM!!!

I wish I had the scratch to take this off your hands, as this is one of my Holy Grail ukes...

but alas, I'm still Baroque right now.

Whomever is the new owner will have something truly wonderful.

IIRC, I saw a video about Joel Eckhaus, in which they mentioned that he had lessons from the legend Roy Smeck himself, but not sure - maybe someone can confirm.

Good luck with the sale brother! :)

Hi Booli, you're correct, Joel's website says he was taught by Smeck himself...

Will

The asking price seems to be higher than commissioning a new one direct from the builder? Maybe the prices on his website are way out of date? Anyhoo good luck with the sale - these are lovely ukes.

Fisherman,

Joel does not appear to have updated his website in years. In fact, Joel's Strad page says this model is “currently played” by John King (my favorite player). Sadly, John died in 2009.

I am looking at the 2014 receipt and it says the base price for the standard Stradelele is $1250, plus $100 for Peghedz and $75 for the case, coming to a total of $1425. And then there was the minor issue of the six month build time.

Anyway, I will lower the price to $1150. As I said, this uke is in perfect condition.

Last edited:
Hi, regarding scale length and StewMac, that’s how you calculate where you’re going to end up, but for all of us plebes, scale length is pretty much relayed to others like your last measurement, avoids confusion. Even StewMac uses that measurement when describing the scale of an existing instrument.:) � Nice uke, btw, it’ll make someone happy!

Last edited:
I've always wanted one of these. Very tempting at this price....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom