Neither old nor new?

NewUkeNewYork

Reaction score
I haven't introduced myself previously, but I've been lurking for months. I bought a ukulele for my son when he was a toddler, but other than supervising him while he strummed I didn't do much with it. As he got older, we watched a lot of "Steven Universe," which is ukulele-friendly-tv, if you don't know, and eventually I just had to teach myself "Giant Woman," from that show. So I picked up the ukulele and a free chord chart and figured it out.

At the same time, though I had been occasionally singing with an amateur bluegrass-inspired ensemble, I got tired of being one of the only people up on the stage without an instrument. And when one of our banjo players died, I was touched to watch his granddaughter play "Let It Be" on guitar at his funeral. I realized how much I missed playing an instrument (I'd played piano and violin until college). So I went home and sat down with my son's Dolphin. I played just about every day for the next year, and that brings us to today. My banjo friend's memorial service was almost exactly a year ago. I've played my ukulele a few times with our group and even performed solo once. I started a NYC ukulele jam group that is having its 15th jam this Saturday. I'm still glad to be here on this site, definitely still hooked on ukulele, and I'm happy to introduce myself, even if I go back to mostly lurking. ;)

Good to know you!

Welcome… I enjoyed reading about your journey.

Top Bottom