concert ukulele action

merlin666

Reaction score
I am considering buying a used Koaloha concert online. It is supposed to have g string action of 3mm at the 12th fret. My tenor with low G Aquila red has about 2mm, so I am concerned that I will find the 3mm with fluorocarbon string uncomfortable. Should this be an issue to influence my purchase decision, or can this easily be adjusted by sanding the (presumably rosewood) saddle?

String height is personal, if it's high you can lower it by sanding/filing the base of the saddle.
I wouldn't let that influence me from purchasing it. :)

Like C.K. said, it's personal. I've settled on 2.5mm as my happy medium after I had a custom ordered at 2mm and it buzzed badly in my hands. I can tell the difference between 2.5mm and 3mm so if you're used to 2mm, I'm sure you will be able to feel the difference. Whether you can adjust to it or will need to adjust the uke only you can decide.

String height is personal, if it's high you can lower it by sanding/filing the base of the saddle.
I wouldn't let that influence me from purchasing it. :)

Yeah, I agree. And, it's very easy DIY work. Just go easy and slow. Harder to bring back up, than to take some off.

Yeah, I agree. And, it's very easy DIY work. Just go easy and slow. Harder to bring back up, than to take some off.

An old engineer of my acquaintance advised me to measure how much you want to remove then remove half. Measure again, repeat. Better that than oops! Too much.

Top Bottom