FS: New Soprano Russian Olive Wood Uke by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
SOLD

This is another new soprano size uke made of 15 year old solid Russian Olive wood for the body and head plate. Very warm gold/green color and richness to the wood. The neck is old colorful Mango wood (some very few small worm holes, but no worms) and a truss rod. Hardwood fingerboard and bridge made of Bolivian rosewood. White plastic dots for the fret markers with white side dots included. Bone nut and compensated bridge saddle. Two maple wood rings for the sound hole rosette. Grover brand chrome geared tuners with chrome knobs. Clear Fluro Martin brand strings. The playing scale is 13 3/4". Nut width is 1 3/8". There are 12 frets to the body, 15 total. Gloss nitro-lacquer finish with a satin smooth feel. Low easy playing action and a very full rich mellow woody quality to the sound. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed, 2 day trial period or your money back minus shipping costs. No case but I will double box for safe shipping. Made in the USA by Black Bear Ukuleles, labeled signed and dated. $25 shipping in the USA lower 48 states. Payment by money order, personal check or bank draft only, no Paypal. Email me if you need more information. Thanks for looking.

SOLD

Attachments

• 2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-a.jpg
    2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 419
  • 2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-b.jpg
    2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-b.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-d.jpg
    2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-d.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-c.jpg
    2018-3-28 Russian Olive uke-c.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Hi Duane -
Another beautiful instrument out of another wood I am not familiar with -
I'd not seen Russian Olive Wood used before ! ( though I have had penny whistles and Irish flutes in olive wood )
On your soprano, is the tone similar to maple, koa, or mahogany?
Thanks!
Ed, in Lakebay Washington USA

Hi Duane -
Another beautiful instrument out of another wood I am not familiar with -
I'd not seen Russian Olive Wood used before ! ( though I have had penny whistles and Irish flutes in olive wood )
On your soprano, is the tone similar to maple, koa, or mahogany?
Thanks!
Ed, in Lakebay Washington USA

given that it's a hardwood Ed, i'm guessing closer to maple. maybe a bit drier in tone and good on the attack, bright, punchy and plenty of volume.
also very interested in Duane's response.

given that it's a hardwood Ed, i'm guessing closer to maple. maybe a bit drier in tone and good on the attack, bright, punchy and plenty of volume.
also very interested in Duane's response.

This statement is close to how I would describe the sound, but it also has a bit of mellow. It sounds about the same as other fruit woods I have used, apricot and peach. This Russian Olive bends like butter and is close grained. The thing about the sound of a soprano uke, it that it is not just the top wood or the back and sides for that matter, it the body size and the system and scale. No other size seems to get that chunk sound or attack quite like the soprano, at least that has been my experience so far.

That is a gorgeous instrument. I hope when I am in market for another uke (when I have the $) you have this or one like it available. It is just stunning.

OK, this uke is still available, great price and beautiful rich sound, satisfaction guaranteed.

PM sent with questions

That's a beautiful uke. I'm not in the market to buy another right now, but I'm glad to see one out of Russian Olive. I have some RO from a tree that was on my grandfather's cattle ranch that I am planning on using to make a soprano or maybe concert out of soon. I really like the look of the wood, but had never seen an example of it being used for an ukulele. I'm glad to hear it bends well.

Beautiful uke, however not a fan of geared tuners on a soprano. Different strokes for different folks. Good luck with the sale!

To whoever purchased this one: sure would like a sound sample!

I have a Black Bear soprano (koa, 2010), and it's an excellent, wonderful instrument. Perfect action, string-through bridge, lovely sound. In my opinion, they are at least as a good as most sopranos costing two or even three times as much.

Very good looking uke. I too was not familiar with this wood. Very red in color. Really nice.

Top Bottom