Selling a uke for dummies

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. Not sure where to put it.

I'm convincing myself to sell a couple ukuleles in the marketplace here. I get how to open a thread, what information to include, (though I'm not sure how to link in photos), but am totally confused about the PayPal situation, especially after the thread about that. I've only used PayPal to purchase things, but never to receive anything, and don't understand how that works.

How do I make sure I pay the fees and not the buyer? How do you know if it's done via Family & Friends or not? How do I actually get the $ if I make a sale? I tried reading some of PayPal's help articles, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

Can someone explain this to me? Feel free to private message me if that would be preferred, (though maybe some other people are confused, too?)

Or is there a better option for payment?

I apologize if this is in the wrong area, and also for needing "for dummies" assistance.

How do I make sure I pay the fees and not the buyer?

The buyer should send funds for goods or services. PayPal automatically takes the fees and the balance is credited to your PayPal account.

How do you know if it's done via Family & Friends or not?

The buyer is the one who has the option of choosing if funds are sent via friends and family or if it is for goods or services. That recent thread was discussing how some sellers will demand that the buyer select friends and family so the seller can dodge the fees.

How do I actually get the $ if I make a sale?

The buyer sends the funds to your PayPal account/address, Paypal takes the fees out automatically and then credits the rest to your account. You can use that credit for future purchases using PayPal to pay or you can ask PayPal to transfer the money to your bank account.

Last edited:
Thanks.
So, if I understand this correctly, I just shouldn't worry about it. :)

Now I just have to decide on pricing, and go for it. Thanks.

You'll get an email from Paypal telling you that you've received funds. I think you have to wait a couple of days before you can transfer it into your bank account (for free).

Now I can't wait to see what you're selling, maybe it's something I want :)

You'll get an email from Paypal telling you that you've received funds. I think you have to wait a couple of days before you can transfer it into your bank account (for free).

No there is no waiting period. Paypal will transfer the money as soon as you ask for it. It will take a day or so to appear in your bank account.

Now I can't wait to see what you're selling, maybe it's something I want :)

Just posted them, hopefully without too many errors.
I feel very incompetent with my tech skills, but it's all a learning experience.

On private sales, I've always received an invoice from the seller, on commercial sales I've just used my account to purchase with.

(So you may get asked for an invoice.)

You can request a transfer immediately, and the transfer time has gotten shorter - not more than 48 hours lately.

Top Bottom