Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Up The Country . Electric Solid Body Steel String Soprano Uke . Canned Heat

Default Going Up The Country . Electric Solid Body Steel String Soprano Uke . Canned Heat

Here's one if you're going away this week ..
    Performed on the Ukebird.

Great stuff Dean, it's great to see fellow Aussies posting here, thanks mate!
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Great song pick and performance. Nice job on the instrumental parts!

Brill mate. A bit rocky - can't go wrong!
    I own a Kawai KM-10 Baby Grand piano, a Technics KN-2000 electric keyboard, a Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic, a 50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo, an American Fender Stratocaster deluxe, an American Gibson SG Special, a Squier Telecaster Custom II with P90ís, a Ibanez GSR200 BASS, a 1964 Tatra Jumbo 9240 6 string acoustic, an Ozark 2035 suprano banjole, a tenor size Kmise banjole, and a Kala KA-CE electro acoustic uke. Oh, and a piano accordion I canít play!

Nice one.
    To give credit where credit is due, Canned Heat wrote new Lyrics to Henry ‘Ragtime Texas’ Thomas’ song Bull doze Blues (iirc). Recorded by Thomas in 1928.
    The Canned Heat flute part is a note for note copy of Thomas’ Quill solo.
    Thomas also wrote Fishin blues, again with a quills solo, later performers of this song are Taj Mahal and The Lovin’ Spoonful.
    End of history lesson.

Bull doze blues: https://youtu.be/3Qo9R5kDZWY
    Dom Flemmons: https://youtu.be/K-VnXxdngig
    H
    Last edited by Hms; 04-01-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks for the additional information regarding the song.
    Yes I read up the details of the song previously on wikipedia, thought I'd included them in my YT video description but obviously not, but anyway, I will include a link in the Description section on YT.
    Song histories are interesting, when I take time to learn a song I often check up on it's history and like to include references for others to read also if there is anything to tell , so thanks for the reminder.

Another Link here, if anyone wants to read further .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Up_the_Country

No Flute in my version, I can not play a Flute , so my version is neither the same as the original tune nor the Canned Heat song, it's just my own Electric Uke version, based on the Canned Heat song.
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 04-01-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Hi Dean,
    You may have put info up in youtube, but I only viewed the video through the forum.
    Likewise, also interested in the song histories and early delta blues.
    Just wish I could make a decent fist of playing them!
    H

No worries Hms. I just added the link then, I forgot to do it previously, the reminder was good, thanks.

Another interesting song I read about a while ago is House Of The Rising Sun, and it so happens I've done a version of that one too, and there is a link to the info which should be in the Description section on YT underneath the Video, feel welcome to visit and check it out from there also if you like.
    There is some interesting facts and stories underlying many of the classics we know , and some of it is really quite amazing , I just try and have a read as I learn a song so not a big music history person myself but I do have an appreciation for the songs and their respective histories and stories.

Dean,
    Original post video seems to have disappeared!
    House of the rising sun and Georgia Turner is certainly an interesting story.
    Weenie Campbell has an interesting thread on this song:
    https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/in...99131#msg99131
    I think we do a disservice to the writers and performers of the old songs if we don’t understand where the song came from and it’s background.
    H
    Last edited by Hms; 04-01-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Yeh great article for reading there Hms, thanks for sharing that one, it's a similar article though presented differently and I enjoyed the read. Cool stuff ..

Thread Information