Barry Maz Reviews

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Do you people spend as much time as I do reading Barry's reviews? I like the fact that he has both printed and video reviews. If something catches my attention, I go through both of them. He certainly has a wide range of ukuleles on his review page. My only complaint (too strong a word) is that so many are either one-off, custom, or generally not available. I like seeing that many inexpensive ukes are also well-made and sound good. You don't have to spend $1,000 to get a good instrument.

A friend here in NY read the review of the RJ Morgan pineapple, emailed Mr. Morgan, arranged for a build, and she'll pick it up while she's visiting relatives in England in a few months. Without Barry's review that never would have happened.

He does a great 'service' to the uke community. :)

Yes, I often take a look at his reviews, when something interests me, his opinions of ukes tie in mostly with my own. ;)

Yes, I've read all of them I think. I don't always have the same tastes as Barry (I like spruce and cedar tops which he finds boring looking as an example) but he gives an honest, critical view of the ukes which makes it a fantastic resource if you mainly shop online. I really enjoy what he does with that site.

Barry gives his honest opinion. It makes for definitive reviews. We all should be greatfull for what he does.
I too have gone in a read almost every written review.

Yes, I've read all of them I think. I don't always have the same tastes as Barry (I like spruce and cedar tops which he finds boring looking as an example) but he gives an honest, critical view of the ukes which makes it a fantastic resource if you mainly shop online. I really enjoy what he does with that site.

Funny, but I like cedar, but not spruce. I'd never get into the string swapping the way he does. Unless there is a problem with the strings on a new uke, I leave them on it.

Oh, yes, I read all his reviews... and because of that, I developed full-blown UAS.
I purchased several ukes that I "didn't need" because of his reviews! :)

Oh, yes, I read all his reviews... and because of that, I developed full-blown UAS.
I purchased several ukes that I "didn't need" because of his reviews! :)

Yes! A friend bought a Baton Rouge 8-string from Thomann in Germany, and I was so impressed that I got one, too - as did another member of our group. That man has cost me a lot of money. :D

Do you people spend as much time as I do reading Barry's reviews? I like the fact that he has both printed and video reviews. If something catches my attention, I go through both of them. He certainly has a wide range of ukuleles on his review page. My only complaint (too strong a word) is that so many are either one-off, custom, or generally not available. I like seeing that many inexpensive ukes are also well-made and sound good. You don't have to spend $1,000 to get a good instrument.

A friend here in NY read the review of the RJ Morgan pineapple, emailed Mr. Morgan, arranged for a build, and she'll pick it up while she's visiting relatives in England in a few months. Without Barry's review that never would have happened.

I’ve read and watched many a review by Baz and think them most helpful. On the down side they are one person’s opinion, if very we’ll informed opinion, and a snap shot in time of a particular Uke before him that is likely to be typical of other models of the same make and model - but beware, variations in build do happen for all manufactured products. Maybe that’s obvious to all but I used to take what Baz said as ‘Gospel’, but now I temper his comments with those factors in mind.

My most expensive Uke cost me £150 and my cheapest was £20, not surprisingly I found some link (but a loose one) between price paid and what the Uke sounded like straight out of the box. As I recall Baz tests Ukes straight out of the box, please correct me if that’s not the case, and there is an argument for being able to play a Uke straight out of the box. That’s his method, etc., and we accept it. However, having set say a dozen Ukes up now I’ve always observed quite significant changes to how a Uke plays and sounds before and after that work - it’s time consuming work so don’t expect any reviewer to do. Think about that (changes) and then make your own judgements as to how representative the sound of a Uke is (compared to what’s possible) for a just out of the box test.

My comments are most definitely not intended as criticism, if you read them that way then please just forget them, but rather as an aid to getting more insight out of the valuable service that Baz supplies to the Uke playing community.

Last edited:
Funny, but I like cedar, but not spruce. I'd never get into the string swapping the way he does. Unless there is a problem with the strings on a new uke, I leave them on it.

My current favourite uke is a spruce top tenor, prior to this I've preferred cedar as well. I went through an obsessive string change phase then realised I was obsessing over tiny differences in sound rather than just playing the damn things.

I'm a big fan, but I like to read not watch the videos.

Honestly, no matter what anyone else thinks, Baz is one of my greatest heroes. :music:

IMHO, Baz is the BEST!

Kudos to you Baz! and THANK YOU for doing what you do! :)

I watch them all. And I read them.

My wife makes fun of me and says I'm an old man.

BUT, I watched that hilarious Ken Timms review with her sitting next to me and she's actually onboard with me getting one...so if I ever meet him I think I owe the man a drink!

I've been watching Barry's videos for years. Even if I'm not shopping, his reviews make great entertainment, and I learn alot about ukuleles.
He may well be the best thing that's ever happened to the instrument.

Every couple months I grab some popcorn and sit down to watch another dozen Got A Ukulele vids. Barry's reviews are great fun to watch, and he does a good job of going over many details of each ukulele and pointing them out even if they are not things he personally cares about.

My favorite part is watching the sour faces he makes when he finds a uke that has poor intonation.

Top Bottom