Dog Chew Neck up for grabs

Timbuck

Reaction score
Remember that neck blank that my dog Max chewed up ? well while I had not a lot on.. I decided to try and rescue it and it didn't turn out too bad.
I built up the chewed heel and sanded out some teeth dents.. and fitted a rosewood fret board...and when I had done, it had a few coats of FP applied but it was out of spec for my sopranos cos the neck was too slender but I recon some one who builds cigar box ukes could use it...so if anyone out there wants it..they can have it for the price of postage it's a dovetail type joint on it and it comes with a dovetail neck block..but it most likely will need a bit of shimming to fit it. or it could be modified as a bolt on.
PICT0059.jpgPICT0055.jpgPICT0063.jpgPICT0047.jpg

I would love to have "another" go at making a cb Uke - the neck is always a problem, so I would love to have this. I will message you.

I just can't believe a dog could do anything like that.

Attachments

• Couch Confetti2.jpg
    Couch Confetti2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 90
Heh... dogs chew things?

can.jpg

I should've replied earlier, but been away in Wales for a bit.

The neck arrived - it is fab, you wouldn't know a dog had had a nibble :D

I visited Kev Mulcock, and he gifted me kerfing, bracing wood, soundboard wood, and tuners..... I am one lucky lucky lady!

Here is the result - doesn't sound half bad either! Thank you Ken, thank you Kevin - All I had to buy was the cigar box...

Soundboard wood, kerfing, Brace wood, Bridge wood and tuners all gifted by the lovely Kevin Mulcock (KM Ukes).

20180501_171721.jpg 15 Bracing complete and sanded 2.jpg

That looks just fantastic, very well done!

What size box did you use?
My suspicion is that a big box is needed, but what was your experience and did you need to thin the top?
Was there any particular reason why you chose not to have two smaller sound ports and an larger active area as per the Eddy Finn Cigar Box Uke?
Please do tell us about what it’s like to play too ........ it’s a lovely job, almost has me reaching for some tools and a donor Uke.

Sorry for all the questions, but your lovely Uke just brings out the worst in me :) .

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind comments @Graham Greenbag

The box is 235mm x 200 x 50 - I spent a good while searching for a box which would allow the bridge to be placed well up the body. So many I have seen have the bridges so close to the edge that it is surprising they make any sound at all. The box has a lot more chamber room than a soprano though I suspect.

Simple reason for the size of the sound hole - it is the size of the hole cutter I had, and its roughly the same as a soprano's too.

Although the box had a pretty nice cedar wood base which I could've used - it would definitely have needed sanding down considerably - something which is easy to do, but I find extremely difficult to measure and get even across the board when using basic power tools or by hand.

Thankfully Kevin Mulcock came to the rescue and thicknessed a mahogany soundboard for me in a proper machine, so all I had to do was cut it to size and do the finish sanding. I had to gently pry the base off the box and level the edges, but it came off fairly easily I think as its a dovetailed construction for the sides and the top and base of the box are stuck on afterwards.

Its great to play - I've still got some work to do on the nut slots though - sitting too high.

It was really good fun to put together. Here is a comparison shot / and quick mobile phone video compared with a Hamano Soprano. Have a go at making one, its fun!

20180503_075824.jpg

Thanks for your really great response @jesterblod, very helpful.

The Cigar Box Uke sounds really good and it’s a well deserved result for your work and planning. I suspect that getting the right box and then the right soundboard is what makes all the difference to Cigar Box Ukes - you end up with a playable instrument rather than a Uke shaped object. The Hamano that you played it next to has a good report on Got a Ukulele so it was a challenging comparison, helpful to see the photo of them side by side too. Nice playing too, my playing continues to slowly improve but I’ve such a long way to go to catch you.

I had wondered whether the shape would be uncomfortable in any way but you look fine with it.

At some point I would like to make one myself. I’ll keep an eye out for a suitable box - looks like they need to be at least as long as the standard body shape would be for the scale that you pick - and donor instrument and then chip away at building it as time allows.

I suspect that Timbuck must be very pleased to see what you have done with the neck that he gave you.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Top Bottom