NUD: Fred Shields' PINEAPPLE - All CHERRY

Brenda, forgot to ask above .......what is nut and saddle material. Black tusq or ebony. Really nice sound. Do you always play with a thumb pick.

Sweet sounding Cherry Pineapple uke Brenda. Well done. I guess it had to be a sweet uke since it's a "Cherry Pineapple" :).

Fred Shield definitely builds a nice uke. Congrats!

Hey Rainer I think this would be the perfect uke for Brenda to put in her suitcase and bring to Switzerland to show you!!!!

Great idea, Dave! Now you only have to convince here to bring this one - or the Farallon she got from you... ;)

Brenda, forgot to ask above .......what is nut and saddle material. Black tusq or ebony. Really nice sound. Do you always play with a thumb pick.

I use thumb pick when my thumb nail is not at the right length. It is also depending on my mood at the time too.
The nut and saddle are made from black acrylic. The bridge and finger board are Jarrah.
Mr Shields do not have a website. He is 80 years old. If you are interested , here are some of his typical style. This facebook page is inactive. He lost his password but you can still see his work. His phone number is posted in the earlier thread here.

https://www.facebook.com/Fred-Shields-Ukuleles-180995551945357/

Great idea, Dave! Now you only have to convince here to bring this one - or the Farallon she got from you... ;)

Rainer, here is what the master of the house say - "brings only what you can carry on your own." Looks like Risa Stick it is! We will be taking the train(s) after the Rhine River cruise so it is a challenge to have too many things to drag along unless Dave offers to come too. See you in a few weeks! Looking forward to it. Have you received your new guitarlele yet?

Thank you Doc J, SpicySteve for your kind words. I brought the uke to a friend last night, she was surprise how easy it is to play . She swore it feels like a concert scale.
It actually sounds pretty good listening from across the table. The Aquila red really brings out the clarity.

Brenda the Fred Shields is a soprano........stick it in your purse for crying out loud. Don't let her off so lightly Rainer.

Every guy reading your comment knows who the boss in your household really is.......same as ours, not us.

Brenda the Fred Shields is a soprano........stick it in your purse for crying out loud. Don't let her off so lightly Rainer.

Every guy reading your comment knows who the boss in your household really is.......same as ours, not us.

Rainer said he wants to "touch' the Risa Stick ......His wish is my commend. ;)

Congrats Brenda!
I really like the headstock shape.

Rainer said he wants to "touch' the Risa Stick ......His wish is my commend. ;)

Originally, I think it was more like I wanted to get to touch your Kinnard Kiku, LOL! But the Risa Stick is fine, too. :rolleyes:
Seriously, I'm happy we get to meet in person, no matter what uke you bring along.

Again, congratulations to your new FS Soprano, and to your successful kidnapping of Dave's Farallon. Two great acquisitions in such a short time!

I love this pic of one of Fred's ukes

View attachment 107816

He still build that style. I saw it at his workshop. As per the local music shop , Fred's signature style is 'boat paddle' which is similar to the magic fluke except Fred started building years before Fluke was born.
I own Fred's personal pocket size uke, that thing is the length of a letter size paper. It is so cute and full of volume.

I'm late to the table, but gotta say: what a beautiful uke and beautiful playing.
And cherry has a special quality: it will get darker and richer with time, especially if it is exposed to some sunlight...
A pineapple is on "the list", with others. :)

Because I wanted to be just like Brenda I ordered Fred Shields pineapple. Mine is all walnut, it is a super soprano so it has a 15" scale length concert neck, with radius fretboard. I have had it 4 or 5 months and I enjoy it strung low G, the pineapple body is large for a soprano and resonant. I like walnut but Brendas cherry is an exceptionally beautiful piece of wood. I secretly have cherry envy. I took mine on a 7 day cycling trip which I am just finishing. It held up very well. Some pictures below, it is in a quality gigbag then inside the blue canoe sealbag strapped to the top of the rear rack. I enjoyed playing it every morning and evening between long cycling days

20180915_075008.jpg20180918_072503.jpg20180918_072417.jpg20180921_080033.jpg

Last edited:
Because I wanted to be just like Brenda I ordered Fred Shields pineapple. Mine is all walnut, it is a super soprano so it has a 15" scale length concert neck, with radius fretboard. I have had it 4 or 5 months and I enjoy it strung low G, the pineapple body is large for a soprano and resonant. I like walnut but Brendas cherry is an exceptionally beautiful piece of wood. I secretly have cherry envy. I took mine on a 7 day cycling trip which I am just finishing. It held up very well. Some pictures below, it is in a quality gigbag then inside the blue canoe sealbag strapped to the top of the rear rack. I enjoyed playing it every morning and evening between long cycling days

View attachment 112214View attachment 112215View attachment 112216View attachment 112217

Dave, 7 DAYS cycling trip!!?? It takes buns of steel to sit on a small seat for 7 DAYS!!!! Hat off to you. By the way, your walnut pineapple FS ukulele is beautiful ;)

View attachment 112214View attachment 112215View attachment 112216View attachment 112217

Living the dream, Dave. Biking and Ukeing are the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom