Restoration question, can you preserve a crumbling label?

Flutedude

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have gotten the bug for ukulele restoration, but I'm really new at it. I recently purchases two vintage soprano ukuleles, a Mele, and a "Conservatory Quality Ukulele". The Mele is a wreck, but Conservatory just needs some new parts (bridge and tuners). The conservatory paper label is partially gone, but there is enough left to make it out. Is there a way to safely preserve what's left of the label? Here are some pictures.

20180331_131916.jpg

Attachments

• 20180330_132316.jpg
    20180330_132316.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 86
I am no expert but I print my labels on an inkjet then give them a wipe with a couple of coats of shellac. Maybe that would be enough to consolidate what is left of the paper label. Not sure what, if any, effect it may have on value as I am not a collector. Bob

I am no expert but I print my labels on an inkjet then give them a wipe with a couple of coats of shellac. Maybe that would be enough to consolidate what is left of the paper label. Not sure what, if any, effect it may have on value as I am not a collector. Bob

Thanks Bob. I had considered that, but hesitate for a couple reasons. I worry how the aged paper will react to the chemicals in a shellac, and I wonder if it could effect the sound of the uke (although that seems like a longshot). Either way, the label is disintegrating fast. if something isn't done fast, I won't be able to prove who the maker was. So I will consider your idea.

Interesting question.
I doubt shellacking the label is the answer.
Call someone who repairs old guitars.
ans let us know the answer!

Had a look online and some bottle collectors suggest Art Store Spray Fixative for fixing pastels and the like but you would then have the difficulty of trying to spray the label in situ. Try the internet to see if there are any instrument restoration department in any universities that may be able to offer advice. Bob

I do artwork with paper and wood or metal all the time. I would use Golden (it's a brand) matte gel medium. Depending on the stiffness you buy, you may have to dilute it with a small amount of water. Apply a thin coat with a special tool that I call a cut-up credit card, using it sort of like a trowel. You may need to put a little medium under any edges that are loose, but it sinks in from the top, protecting the paper, and it may go through. You can also use a brush, but it will leave brush marks. Think decoupage.

Gel medium is archival, so it won't yellow or destroy the label, and it won't change the color. Practice with similar materials to get a feel for the process before you jump in, but it's doable and should be relatively undetectable as well, especially through a soundhole. You won't need more than a tablespoon of the medium--probably much less, but you do have to practice--so if possible, borrow a jar from a friend. Good luck!

Last edited:
Consider there are two types of restoration, the one that makes it a player again, and the one that preserves its historical value, hopefully while making it a player again! Putting shellac or modpodge, or whatever on the label might be perfect for making it stop falling apart and even look just fine, but it may lower the historical value of the instrument at the same time. Just something to consider.

Two suggestions:
1. Take a photo as Alain suggested.
2. Call Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, California (650-493-2131) and ask for their repair department. The have extensive knowledge of vintage instruments and may be able to help you. If anyone has an answer they will.

Use a small foam brush and thinned elmers glue. This is how you decoupage paper to wood. Very lightly brush the edges that are lifting and push them gently down with the brush, then cover the whole lable top with the glue. Then, if it needs another coat, go for it after the first dries.

The label was glued when originally placed so this won't be a problem.

Two suggestions:
1. Take a photo as Alain suggested.
2. Call Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, California (650-493-2131) and ask for their repair department. The have extensive knowledge of vintage instruments and may be able to help you. If anyone has an answer they will.

Elderly Instruments would be another good choice. https://www.elderly.com/

Thanks.

I do artwork with paper and wood or metal all the time. I would use Golden (it's a brand) matte gel medium. Depending on the stiffness you buy, you may have to dilute it with a small amount of water. Apply a thin coat with a special tool that I call a cut-up credit card, using it sort of like a trowel. You may need to put a little medium under any edges that are loose, but it sinks in from the top, protecting the paper, and it may go through. You can also use a brush, but it will leave brush marks. Think decoupage.

Gel medium is archival, so it won't yellow or destroy the label, and it won't change the color. Practice with similar materials to get a feel for the process before you jump in, but it's doable and should be relatively undetectable as well, especially through a soundhole. You won't need more than a tablespoon of the medium--probably much less, but you do have to practice--so if possible, borrow a jar from a friend. Good luck!

Thanks Ziret, I will look into that.

Try contacting a good book restorer. They are experts at repairing and/or conserving paper.

Consider there are two types of restoration, the one that makes it a player again, and the one that preserves its historical value, hopefully while making it a player again! Putting shellac or modpodge, or whatever on the label might be perfect for making it stop falling apart and even look just fine, but it may lower the historical value of the instrument at the same time. Just something to consider.

Good point. My concern is actually making sure the identity of the maker remains possible on this ukulele. Right now, there is just enough of it left to identify it as a "Conservatory Quality" ukelele. If much more is lost it might not be identifiable at all. As a random vintage uke, it's historic value would be lost, or greatly diminished, I believe. My primary concern, in general, is getting this little guy in playing order again, while staying as true to it's history as possible.

Top Bottom