Season 320: You Ain't Heard Nothing Yet

Here's a Buck Owens song from 1973 I had never heard before. The lyrics of this one are sure a compliment sandwich to good 'ol Gracie!

I regret not finding room for a uke in my suitcase.
Have been in Crete all week, have an idea for a song to do, but I am not sure I can Lean and record it in one day when I get home.

Ain't misbehavin'

I have the original sheet music for this so I decided to try to do this exactly (as exactly as possible!) as it was written. It's in E-flat and the rubric for the ukulele accompaniment says "tune to D and capo at the 1st fret", so that's what I did. It was actually quite a worthwhile exercise. Gives you different inversions to what you'd normally use.

Surprisingly tricky to get the scansion right on this too. Nearly everyone who's recorded this (nearly everyone other than Fats Waller!) sings the line "I'm happy on the shelf" as "I'm ha-a-ap-py__ on-the-shelf__" whereas, as written - and as Fats sings it, it's "I'm-happy on__ the__ shelf"

Similarly, it's very hard to avoid the temptation to scan "I'm sav-in'" as if it echoes "be-hav-in'". As it's written however, the rhythm for "I'm sav-in'" should match "Ain't mis-be". So instead of going "Ain't mis-be-hav__-in, I'm sa__v-in, my-love for you", if you want to stay true to the original, you have to go "Ain't mis-be-ha-v-in', I'm sav-in-my-love__ for-you__ "

Every day's a school day in the Seasons :)

Here's the relevant snippet from the sheet music. Check out bars (measures) 4 & 6:

39484487430_d1e8cdf8d0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Was able to find a small window to do this old Blue's/Folk Standard. Not based on any particular version, but I did watch the Mississippi John Hurt and Gilian Welch versions to get a feel for the melody on the vocals. Thanks again for hosting Randy!

Hello everybody.
I decided to experiment with more rap songs on the uke. I chose chords that work (in my opinion) and did a cover of Snoop Dogg's song Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None).
This is a song that I have listened to for years and I have to admit that until today I had never thought about the lyrics; and the lyrics are more expletive than I remembered.
I hope you enjoy this because I sure enjoyed recording this.

Last edited:
I did this one before, a long time ago, but this time I added some attempted harmonica playing. A sad old country song by Wall of Voodoo, with a dated Dallas reference.

Popping your clogs song... sort of Carter/Guthrie/ISB mashup.
with a bit of harmonica and some harmony... no adverts.

Ahoy
To counterbalance the misogynistic nature of the Snoop song I submitted yesterday I decided to try out some Woody Guthrie today. I don't play the harmonica so I whistled instead during those parts (slightly out of tune whistling).

This Season ain't over yet! Lots of terrific songs coming in!

thesillydave ain't misbehaving Yipee! I am SOOOOOO happy you stopped in and did this for us! The intro is awesome!

pabrizzer It Ain't Much Really cute and fun song!

YorkSteve It Ain't Always True A fine paoriginal, and a really fine performance!

Recovering Bassist Ain't it amazing Gracie New to me, but undeniably a Buck Owens song. Excellent!

Redpaul1 Ain't Misbehaving Interesting info on the song, thanks!

dickadcock A Couple More Years New to me, good one,. Sounds a bit like a Willie Nelson song!

BigDaddyUker Ants On A Log Fun song! I like it a lot!

Mezcalero Make Me Down a Pallet on Your Floor This is a really good song, and your playin' and singin' are amazing here!

cazteclo Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None) Bravo for undertaking a Snoop song - and producing such a terrific take! Well done!

AlanDP Ain't My Day This has a real old-timey feel to it. Real nice.

Jazzbanjorex I Ain't Ever Satisfied Really good song, really good take!

myrnaukelele Funny How Time Slips Away You know how much I love Willie, and this is a real good take on a real good song! Excellent!

wee_ginga_yin Ain't got no home in this world any more I like this a lot! Good harmonica, and ad-free is a bonus!

cazteclo I Ain't Got No Home in This World Anymore Terrific version of this classic, and I like the whistling, too!

Give My Love To Rose

When I discovered this one yesterday, I decided I was going have to learn it for myself. Imagine my surprise & delight when I realised it had one (single, solitary) "ain't" in the final verse.

I don't know how if there's a minimum number (minimum greater than 1, obvs) of "ain't"s required in a lyric for a song to qualify for inclusion in this Season, but ready or not, here we go! :)

:eek:ld: Folkie alert: Yet another song about a dying man's last wish :eek:ld:

p.s. I added the relevant snippet of sheet music for "Ain't Misbehavin'" to my previous post, if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

Hey Seasonistas! You might recognize us from Forte555's channel as we have recorded some videos for the Seasons before! We decided to record a video cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" for this season!

Enjoy!

So many great songs and fantastic renditions of "Is you is or is you ain't my baby?" For not to repeat a song I did before, I found this on doctoruke:

...And my third song, Ain't No Man, by The Avett Brothers. The only instruments on the recording (not counting vocals) are a bass guitar and hand-claps. It was kind of a challenge to figure out how I could adapt it to a totally different instrument! Hope it works. I had fun with it. :)

Top Bottom