Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flight Travel Series TUS50 Soprano - REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by moorhens View Post
    Flight TUS50 looks and sounds great, but it has a compensated saddle. As a lefty, I would need to flip the strings (don't suggest otherwise - this is what works for me). Would that saddle cause any issues?
    I'm no expert, but this ukulele is a re-entrant one. So the bridge is not really suitable for low-G.
    As for flipping the strings, you effectively flip the thickest strings in the middle and then the thinnest outer strings with each other. From looking at the pictures, my guess would be that it should work quite ok?

I ordered one to myself, but I am right handed. Can see better how the bridge is, when it arrives.

I agree with Jarmo - this has a heavily compensated bridge saddle which will throw out intonation if you re order the strings. With removable saddles that can be sorted with a new saddle cut in reverse, but the saddle on these in instagral and moulded into bridge,

I just donít see how you could change it easily for leftie. Sorry

There is a close up pic of bridge in the written review which shows what I mean.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I’m wondering if someone couldn’t 3D print a saddle, taken from the original measurements, and then printed from a mirror image?

We still haven’t figured out why Martin’s saddle works, which to logic seems to be wrongly compensated on two of the strings. Could you get a Martin saddle (new stock) and try it in the Flight?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I was actually of the mind that because G and A are usually not so different in thickness that they could be flipped. And also though that maybe C and E too. Of course not a perfect solution. And I did not think of a possibility that the C string might be set at a higher action than E.

Mysterious things these compensations, that Martin saddle too. Which brings also a question of to what kind of strings is a particular saddle compensated? Like if Flight TUS50 comes with Aquila Nylgut strings, how will the intonation change when using thinner strings with more density. Maybe the relative chording intonation higher up the neck will be ok at least for all fretted chords, but perhaps at least 5 cents off possibilty at 12th fret. Well 5 cents is nothing.

The problem here is that you can’t just swap the saddle part . The whole thing is one piece, and if they are anything like the old Flea one piece saddles, they are a devil to get off.

So having a left Compensated saddle piece isn’t going to help you - you’d need to recreate the whole bridge in reverse.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I wrongly thought the saddle was removeable. I didn’t realize that it was one piece with the bridge. I guess you have to hope that you like the action when you order one!
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

I ordered one on Tuesday from Music Room in UK and got it Friday--on the west coast. It came to less than $58 delivered. Sounds good, looks good, plays easy, I'm happy. It's living next to my bed.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Famous FS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I wrongly thought the saddle was removeable. I didn’t realize that it was one piece with the bridge. I guess you have to hope that you like the action when you order one!
    Thankfully because they are made to a mould template, and unlike things like the Waterman, it doesn’t flex or dip - so the action on all of them ‘should’ be the same. Of course, you are right though - that only places it within a range that people prefer, and adjusting it is hard (though doable - the old Fleas were like that and I know many who took action down)

Still - on this one, the action is dead playable for me - very comfortable

I got my TUS-50 from Thomann today. Looks great and sounds ok.

It weighs more than I expected. My laminated Kala KA-CEM concert size uke, despite being a whole lot bigger, weighs on feel less maybe. I don't have a scale to be sure.
    The flat bottom of Flea would be welcome for this too, because any which way I keep it on my couch the tuner knobs will always come in contact with it. Thus it is always best to check the tuning before playing.

The C and E strings are slightly higher action than G and A strings as expected, the saddle design. The 12th fret note of A seems 10 cent sharp wtf, but could be also some body resonance or bad string or my Android DaTuner app, so I can't say more at the moment. Strings look like Aquila nylguts in color, but are not specified in the cardboard box it came in.

G and A string distance at nut is 2 mm wider than in Kala concert, which it is good because of the shorter scale. Scale length is specified as 350 mm, but I measured from zero fret to where G or A string meet the saddle the string free length to be 355 mm.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; Yesterday at 04:26 AM.

Thread Information