Low G instrument suggestions, recommendations...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a high G guy, played high G since my first ukulele over 7 years ago. But, I recently put a low G string on my Islander and can see a use for some songs, like old rock, which seems to be most popular with the crowd I play with. But, I still like high G for most stuff.

I actually bid on this Kamoa linked in this thread:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?132058-Box-less-shipping&highlight=kamoa,

but lost out. It's a retail $800 instrument! I bid a total of $300 and the winner got it for about $305. Anyway, I bid on it because I thought it would be a great Low G instrument.

Anyway looking for ideas for a Low G concert size ukulele...

Mahogany makes for a good low G uke - nearly all my ukes have low G fluorocarbon strings on them. :)

(I also like my acacia ukes with low G.)

If you are looking for more specific, my mahoganies are Ohana, & my acacia are Kala & KoAloha Opio.

Last edited:
my suggestion is Kanilea tenor ukulele. when it installed a low g its voice is similar to a classical guitar.

Yes, I like low G for classic rock songs and such. My recommendation would be tenor size, all solid wood, something like a KoAloha Opio or Pono.

A concert Fluke handles low G very well if you like the Fluke sound overall. The only caveat is don't use a wound string on a plastic fretboard.

I am not a low G player. But I do like the strumming sound of low G and see how the classic rock/blues benefits from low G. When I've done a test run stringing up a ukulele low G, I always thought that a ukulele that had a strong low end sound would be best. In the end the one tenor that I've kept as low at has been a particularly bright ukulele. The low tones seems to accent both the low and high tones instead of being too low and maybe a little to muddy.

Personally, an acacia, koa, or spruce would appeal to me more as low at than cedar.

John

.....& yet my choice would be the cedar topped acacia out of those four. ;)

Ya' know, that's my favorite too, but the all Acacia laminate has it's pluses, it's laminate, it's Acacia. And minuses, it's Acacia, I already have an Acacia Islander and my Koa Kanile'a. I like the looks of the Cedar top and I had a Port Orford Cedar Ohana that was pretty bright CK-80, I think. I put Worth browns on it and it sounded pretty good. If I'd have put low G on it, I might still have it! :shaka:

I'll sleep on it...

I do low g tuning a lot. My current favorite is the Blackbird Clara. I have also used as my main low g over the years : Kala super soprano (concert neck- soprano body) in spalted maple with spruce top, and KoAloha concert pineapple. I like Living Water Strings, and Worth Clear, or ones that have a high polished wound string to prevent noisy squeaks from the fingerprint grooves.
–Lori

I have low G on a tenor Fluke. If you prefer concert scale it would work fine on a concert Fluke as the body is the same, the concert just has the shorter neck.

Well, I talked to Mim this morning and we worked out a bundle deal, more info in upcoming NUD... :shaka::drool:

I have low G on a tenor Fluke. If you prefer concert scale it would work fine on a concert Fluke as the body is the same, the concert just has the shorter neck.

Do you have a sound sample for that? Curious how the fluke body compares to a traditional tenor body for the low g sound.

I have a concert Flea with a hardwood fretboard as a dedicated low g instrument. I'm very happy with it. If you didn't get upgraded tuners, it would be well within your $300 price range.

Do you have a sound sample for that? Curious how the fluke body compares to a traditional tenor body for the low g sound.

I don't at the moment. I usually use it for finger picking. If I do something with it in the near future, I'll let you know - if I remember, that is.

I am almost exclusively a low G player. Fingerstyle chord melody jazz and also classical. For me the linear tuning is more conducive to that. I play a Koaloha tenor which gets a resonant tone from the low G. My friend has just purchased a tenor Koaloha Opio, likewise superb in low G, just not quite as loud as mine.

Jon

If you’re going low G go to a Tenor definitely and then even try lowering a half step to F# B D# G#

If you’re going low G go to a Tenor definitely and then even try lowering a half step to F# B D# G#

Wow, thanks for the tip! I had a Low-G Tenor hanging on the wall and I always thought it sounded kind of funny. I just tuned it down a half step and it now it sounds great.

Top Bottom