....and some say less is more.

greenscoe

Reaction score
Walnut and Engelmann spruce with a touch of maple. Barely noticeable walnut bindings front and back. The box has a depth of only 65mm (2.5”). The neck is laminated Tulipwood with scarfed head.

Finished in spray can matt polyurethane (a first for me).

Possibly my best sounding uke to date.

...maybe less is more!

walnut2.jpgwalnut1.jpgwalnut5.jpgwalnut4.jpgwalnut3.jpg

Its a tenor and yes, Ive started putting clear protective vinyl film over the top bout on spruce tops. Its the stuff used as vinyl wrap on cars and available from many sources on Ebay.

If surform and rasp did the job for you then good on you. Some people use spokeshaves and chisels, some use the lathe, some belt sanders. Others use potato peelers. If you get the result and have fun doing to then happy days :D

The great American furniture maker Sam Maloof used a Surform for shaping almost exclusively. I can't get on with them.

The great American furniture maker Sam Maloof used a Surform for shaping almost exclusively.

Sam Maloof: there's a new name for me but I am glad to be acquainted with him and his work

The sun is shining and there's a uke underway in my workshop but I had to spend time on Youtube listening to him talk and seeing his work.

Self taught, a perfectionist, loved working in wood, long lived and his favourite wood was walnut (and I did see him with Surform in hand). Beautiful furniture, a rocker sold for 8,500 in 1982 ish.......

Here's just one of the videos I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKIoezZUK6s&index=3&list=PLS5I0AQhYR0uGeGb8NAdcbAA3Kw_La_q5

Nice video on Sam Maloof. Did you notice the one-handed free-form use of a router as a 3 dimensional carving tool? And in 1983 he was complaining about the price and availability of rosewood.

If surform and rasp did the job for you then good on you. Some people use spokeshaves and chisels, some use the lathe, some belt sanders. Others use potato peelers. If you get the result and have fun doing to then happy days :D

Yeah, whatever tool works. Recently Ken Timms had a dog gnaw one for him!

Lovely instrument you have here. The walnut is very attractive!

Top Bottom