Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uke's tuning that hits the sweet spot vs strings

When I perform solo I tune down a half step to B....Bb a full step down is a bit floppy and dull sounding no volume due to loose tension....when playing with others I tune back to low G so no one has to transpose

I have one standard laminate tenor uke, I didn't like it in high G, tuned it low G & it was better, but didn't use it much - now it is tuned DGBE with classical guitar strings - now I like it.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

You would tune up to D, one full tone using the same strings.

We really need more fine grained strings such that the target string tension vs. frequency can be managed. If I find that my uke is best set to B# tuning then I need to find the strings that will give me the right tension.. I am surprised that the only option for folks here is to go buy different fishing lines.. maybe we need a palette of strings as a single product.
    So much to experiment and learn! and I still need to fix the biggest bottleneck.. my skills :-D

Southcoast has quite a wide range of string choices. They can likely help most folks find the right mix.
    Last edited by EDW; 04-05-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    We really need more fine grained strings such that the target string tension vs. frequency can be managed. If I find that my uke is best set to B# tuning then I need to find the strings that will give me the right tension.. I am surprised that the only option for folks here is to go buy different fishing lines.. maybe we need a palette of strings as a single product.
    So much to experiment and learn! and I still need to fix the biggest bottleneck.. my skills :-D
    The truth about strings is that most mfg's use fishing line in some form or another. I've used digital calipers on Worth and Oasis and they are the same, and also the same as line. It is just not economically feasible to develop specific ukulele strings.

I know that Aquila makes their own. I suspect D'addario might since they have an enormous customer base with guitars. Southcoast is an interesting supplier as I think they add an additional step on their strings. Dirk has long preached string balance which was lost on me until recently. Light bulb has finally gone on.

My problem is when I am trying to hit that sweet spot, or dial in a saddle (height and compensation, when needed), I will blow through strings and have grown tired of partial sets that are always missing that one string I need. I just don't have the patience to order strings and have to put my work on hold so I've decided to stock up on line and mix-n-match strings and get it done. It is funny, I have this box of strings that sits there until I need to work on a new ukulele, or I get fed up with the sound of one of my ukes. That usually opens the flood gates and I'll re-visit other ukes. After that the box goes back in the closet for a year or more.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-05-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Heh.. I guess people do read ;-)
    I meant just a half step down, b# would be the standard tuning..

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    Heh.. I guess people do read ;-)
    I meant just a half step down, b# would be the standard tuning..
    Do you mean Bb?
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

B# maps to C..

What? Improving technique? Changing strings is so much easier!

Thread Information