Pono MGTP?

Maiden Uke

Reaction score
Looking for feedback from Pono MGTP (mango tenor pineapple) owners as to the comfort, sound, fit, finish and volume of these ukuleles? Thanks.

I don't have specific knowledge of that exact model, but Ponos are usually really well built. My Pono Tenor is not a pineapple but it has really good volume. I can only imagine the pineapple would be even more resonant.

I have that model and like it a lot. Fit and finish are great, like on all Pono ukes I've seen and played. The satin finish is extremely smooth and makes for an open tone. Soundwise, I don't hear much difference from a regular uke.

I'd actually consider selling mine, as my interest is shifting towards baritones and small guitars lately, but I'm in Europe, so with shipping and possibly taxes, it might cost the same as ordering a new one. By the way, mine is the exact one that is pictured and demoed on HMS website, the very first that was ever built of this model:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mgtp-mango-tenor-pineapple.html

Super_Dave, it seems like a lot of people love their Ponos. Thanks.

Thanks Rakalele, your input is very helpful. Wondering if you would describe the sound as loud, sweet, low, mellow? Too bad you're not in the USA, I'd be interested. The grain is beautiful on your #1 MGTP.

I would describe the sound as sweet. Not really louder or more resonant than others, but very balanced across the entire range from bass to trebles. The sound sample in the video I linked above gives a very accurate impression. I have changed the strings to Worth Clear and I think that it sounds more open with those.

Since you're in the US, as far as I know, there aren't any customs charged on your end. I would consider selling mine for $370 USD, including the cost for shipping, and also including the great O'ahu hard case that I bought for it and that fits this unusual body shape perfectly. Send me a PM if you think we could work something out.

The MGTP is probably the one that got me into Ukulele playing, so I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Get one, if you can!!!! :D

Top Bottom