Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your best sounding ukulele..

Cool Tell us about your best sounding ukulele..

This should be a fun thread to revisit.

Sound of a uke is very subjective but should be a fun read none the less.

For me:

Make: cocobolo ukulele
    Model: super concert
    Strings: worth brown concert
    Tuning: high g

How do I play it: Usually in a quiet room at a low volume.

What do I like about it: it has a good deep tone and a balanced sound across the range. The body resonates well at around high G so standard tuning works well. Really good dynamic range, sounds good and rich when played soft or loud.
    I also like the super soprano form factor. Excellent sustain!

I would like to have a lighter head stock and I do not like bridge pins on ukes but the playing more than compensates for the things I would like to see done differently.

I have tried other strings and it currently has titanium strings on but I prefer worth Brown.

Current heard:
    Makala dolphin that I sanded down.
    Martin c1k
    MM tenors: all myrtle and cedar top mahagony back cutaway.
    Concert Fluke

Best sounding? To whose ears?

For me, I seem to default to mahogany with either Worth browns or Southcoast stings. Even my ultra cheap Donner solid mahogany top uke with browns sounds pretty good to me.

But then my new koa tiny tenor with a low g is great too. Cannot fault it at all.

Ralph

Martin C1K for me with M600s... it sings when I sit in the corner of the fireplace. I find that corner gives the best acoustic... I'm getting spoiled when I use the Concert Flea it just doesn't sound the same as the Martin.

However I'm drooling over the Farrallon right now... debating whether to buy one!!

No particular one, but I have a few that I really like the sound of, mainly solid mahogany or solid acacia

Different sizes, but all fitted with Living Water low G fluorocarbon (concert) strings.

Edit: I suppose I ought to say my long neck concert KoAloha acacia, as it's my most expensive, but I really like my Ohana mahogany long necks too.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 04-05-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Can't pick a best sounding, but I can sure pick out the worst sounding.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Wow. That’s a tough one. I have 4 that are all quite different in their sound. Each one sounds great. My KoAloha concert is perhaps the overall sound winner. It suits most music well, is bright & happy, with good intonation everywhere on the fretboard. My Gary Gill short neck tenor is mellow and well suited to strumming, blues, country, and has great intonation. My Loprinzi cedar/ rosewood has been a little mystery uke. It sounds kind of “timid” at home but when I plug into the sound system at church on Sundays, it sings like nobody’s business. It truly sparkles! Maybe it just likes attention. Then there’s my trusty acacia laminate Islander soprano which is just flat out fun sounding around a campfire.

That was nice, Campbell. How do you make the video look like disembodied hands are playing? Cover yourself in black velvet?

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I can't feel the love for my Martin S1, and instead love playing a cheaper Barnes and Mullin Gresse... maybe its the mahogany I don't like, but personally, the Gresse just sounds better to me, and in honesty, as I play for me, that's the most important thing.
    Barnes and Mullins "The Gresse" Soprano + Tenor + Martin S1 + Old Clover solid Mahogany Soprano (needing TLC) + Shaftesbury MIJ Soprano + Ohana SK21-A Sopranino + Eko tiny sopranissimo

The truth is, I don't know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dansimpson View Post
    I can't feel the love for my Martin S1,
    Maybe you should try a different tuning.. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...pot-vs-strings

The one I'm playing generally. I recently got rid of one custom uke that drove me to despair everytime I played it - feels good not to have it in my life now, as I kept on trying to justify ownership, and having a rotten time with it.

I've recently bought a new old stock Collings UC1 koa, and I'm blown away by it; so at the moment that is my best sounding uke.

I've got a Mya Moe koa tenor that I'd love even more if it weren't for the radius fretboard - love the sound, just get that annoying squeal/buzz on those tricky chords due to not being able to hold down the strings cleanly on the very radiused fretboard. Such a shame, it's one piece koa with bloodwood bindings (custom made for me). The Collings also has a radius, but it is less pronounced (more subtle) than the MM. I would, and I never thought I'd say this: consider a trade for a Collings tenor (must be near mint though) pm me before I change my mind if you have anything suitable, cash either way (I'm UK based).

Thread Information