greetings fellow earthlings! beginner uke player from CA (nomadic)

MsMartian

Reaction score
Hello! Bonjour! Buenos Dias! Bom dia! Ni hao! zdrasvuite! Salaam Alaikum!

I have been trying to learn the ukulele for a long time now, but recently became semi-retired so I finally have the time for daily practice.

I grew up playing classical cello. Sadly, it is really hard to lug a cello around and it is hard to play in my tiny house (van or sometimes trailer).

I love the portability of the ukulele, and that you can buy a starter uke for cheap. I just ordered an outdoor ukulele for travel, rain, all that.

I'm also learning to sing.

So far I have been chugging along trying to learn songs out of various Jumpin' Jim books (which are awesome).

I'm struggling with some of the harder chords. Looking for some local ukulele groups in the places I will be living for help with that.

Looking for ukulele puns too.

Ultimately, I would like to write my own songs and arrange some blues and Cajun songs for ukulele. I think it would be a great to be able to play songs from my people when travelling.

Looking forward to chatting with and learning from y'all! :rock::nana::cheers::smileybounce:

Tikanis M², welcome to U² forum! Don’t think I’ve heard anyone play a Cajun song on uke, not around these parts anyway. Looking forward to hearin’ one o’yers.

Hello and welcome!

You can often find strum along where ever you go on Meetup.com.
Search Ukulele+location, there are tons of us out here.

Welcome from another new-b.

Tikanis M², welcome to U² forum! Don’t think I’ve heard anyone play a Cajun song on uke, not around these parts anyway. Looking forward to hearin’ one o’yers.

Thanks. Perhaps one of these days! I've got this cool book of cajun songs, once I figure out the chords I'll be in business :)
http://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.com/2015/10/ye-yaille-chere-traditional-cajun-dance.html

Thanks maki66! i found a couple of meetups in the SF bay area and one in humbolt county (where i'll be this summer)
i'm trying to learn some surf tunes for my trip to Portugal - didn't see any meetups there, but that is a great idea for trip planning. what a great way to meet locals with similar interests!:music:

thanks Michael70! be there or b^2! do b do b do :)

Thanks Lapyang! Looks like you have quite the uke collection!

I wonder if it is like that joke with bicycles. If the number of bicycles you own = n, then the number of bicycles you think you need is n + 1 :music:

Top Bottom