Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite music to play when alone?

Default Your favorite music to play when alone?

When it's just you, practicing/playing by yourself. What brings you the most joy?

For me it's Daniel Ho's Polani music. I'm loving it! When I get it mastered I'll buy his 'Songbook' which has a whole different set of songs on it. I hope he's in the studio right now, working on some new stuff.

Sixties and seventies protest songs.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

See avatar.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I currently only ever play alone but my family can probably hear me through the closed door. As I only ever play alone I can't say that I have a favorite for that occasion but what I play most frequently would be
    old-school / traditional / "real" country, Bob Dylan and John Prine. I've been working on some Bruce Springsteen lately.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I've settled with jazz standards. Love the shuffle strum and feel of the old jazz standards... just learned autumn leaves really digging it now.! I got about 7 songs I've worked hard to learn note by note..... soon to be 8, starting on Blue Moon.

Getting faster at learning songs. It used to take me 1.5weeks to learn a full song from sheet music... now can do it in two days if I focus. Unfortunately I don't have the gift of the ear and "intuition" so it's just brute force memory when learning music for me.

NAKED
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I go through the song books from groups I'm in - nice variety.

I seldom play when anyone is home. Yes, I'm that "good."

I like variety, but I do enjoy oldies & blues. I like playing alone as well as with groups. I love playing right before bedtime to de-stress. My mom & my dog do enjoy my playing. At least they donít tell me to stop.
    Right now Iím working on Mike Lynchís chord melody version of If by David Gates/Bread. Beautiful song.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 04-05-2018 at 11:59 AM.

I play alone early in the morning, when I first arise. I like to start slow and pretty much stay there. I start with Rob McKillops Hawaiian Landscape with Rain (very slow). Then I have a painfully slow campanella version of Poor Wayfaring Stranger, which I try to play with a lot of feeling. This is usually followed by a few John King campanella pieces. Lately I've been ending with an upbeat arrangement that I wrote of Sonny Chillingworth's slack-key guitar song Lilo's Mele (Grandsons Lullabye).

Thread Information