Song Help Request The Glory of Love - pg 90 in The Daily Ukulele

UkeDoxie

Reaction score
Good morning uke friends!

I have been playing my way through The Daily Ukukle and really love this song. Unfortunately I am having trouble with the chord change from Em7 to Ebdim. Two beats on each chord. Any thoughts for a substitution? I can do Em7, but the diminished is killer. I will keep practicing, but a substitution would be awesome. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
You could play the Ebdim but leaving the A string open, then it's just like a G chord but shifted towards your chin by one string.

Although once you can play that, it's not that much trouble to put your pinkie (or little finger depending on what side of the pond you live) down on the A string, fret 3 too.

If you are doing Ebdim7 (2323), I would finger the em7 with the ring finger and pinky and then slide the two fingers up one fret and drop the first and second finger into place.

jimavery's suggestion of 2320 is "correct", but depending on context you might can get away with either 2322 or even 2020. The first is Ebdim but with an added "sharp 5" from the top B note. Maybe the added color is fine? The second is the "Hawaiian D7" but the notes are all in the Ebdim7 chord - it's just missing the Eb note.

Thanks for the great ideas! I will spend the weekend practicing with them.

Another thing you can do is to change the key. I made a play along of this song after Besley brought his version to a jam (I’m approaching 300 play along videos...I use them with my students and enjoy making them for others to use).

Here’s the play along...Bette Midler, from a performance on the Ellen Show.

Try playing the Ebdim as a barre chord. Barre the second fret, then middle and ring on the 2nd and 4th strings.

Try playing the Ebdim as a barre chord. Barre the second fret, then middle and ring on the 2nd and 4th strings.

Or do a G7 moved up one fret and wrap your thumb around the neck to get the fourth string/second fret. I use the thumb wrap on several chords - an old guitar habit. Works well for me.

Top Bottom