headstock crack repair

plunker

Reaction score
Wife bought me this Luna Oasis guitar. Got a rl good deal $ 65.00 + -. Why, cracked head stock. I have seen the videos on line. I think I can do it myself. Any caveats, warnings that anyone might have. Plan to use titebond hide glue.file:///C:/Users/USER/Pictures/gc.jpeg

Attachments

• gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I can't see the image very well, but it looks to me like the split is in the timber, and doesn't seem to follow the seam of the joint, makes me think it's a frailty in the timber itself. Personally I wouldn't be feeling too hopeful, but that's going on my own experiences with guitar headstocks which is limited. My guess is if you do a good job on it you may have success and if not then you won't, there won't be much in between. Have you considered asking in the Luthier Lounge section ? I'm quite sure some of the the Luthiers work on more than just Ukuleles and someone there is likely to have some good knowledge and advice.

I can't see the image very well, but it looks to me like the split is in the timber, and doesn't seem to follow the seam of the joint, makes me think it's a frailty in the timber itself. Personally I wouldn't be feeling too hopeful, but that's going on my own experiences with guitar headstocks which is limited. My guess is if you do a good job on it you may have success and if not then you won't, there won't be much in between. Have you considered asking in the Luthier Lounge section ? I'm quite sure some of the the Luthiers work on more than just Ukuleles and someone there is likely to have some good knowledge and advice.

Thank you for taking an interest. I am ignorant on this stuff, and am stuck with the guitar. I would really like to make it work and learn to play. Good advice.

You will need to spread the crack a bit if you can (carefully) and then just work in the glue as much as possible. Clamp it well and wipe off the excess glue with a damp rag.

Top Bottom