Frequent string changes

lifereinspired

Reaction score
Hi!

I finally received my first uke and am busy working on improving my playing.

I've only tried the strings that came on it this far (and, of course the strings on a couple of yes I borrowed before that, mostly Aquila Nylon, I believe). I've ordered a couple different types of strings a few days ago to try different sounds and I wondered if there were any negative to switching back and forth a bit, until I decide what my favorites are (other, than of course the effort of switching the strings). My uke has a bridge that doesn't require tying on but a knot in the strings so I won't have to worry about re-tying the end over and over again.

Thanks so much in advance! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

My advice is to play a set for a month. Even the set that comes with your Uke ( unless strings are really crap) should be played. A new uke, out of the box , takes a few days to a week before the strings break in. A month gives you enough time to evaluate the set you have on. Record them it you like. changing old string to new and back, is a hassle and I don't know if you can come up with a clean conclusion doing this. Play them for a month. Then throw away and try a new set.

My .02c cents worth.

YMMV

The only downside to changing back and forth is that the strings always need time to stretch, even if they have been used before. When I went through my "string frenzy" I tried something like 20 different sets. Moved them between ukes, put them back on the same uke, etc., etc. At this point I'm pretty happy with things, but it took a while to get there. There really is no down side to it. Just don't cut the ends too short :).

Top Bottom