HELP PLEASE!!! *Ukulele ID Needed*

furious_01

Reaction score
Just happened to swoop on this uke a couple of weeks back and am excited to start playing. First though, I'm wondering exactly what I purchased - the price was right so I won't be upset if you tell me it's trash, LOL. My guess was just some knockoff since there isn't a sticker or brand stamped inside the body. Can anyone me ID?

012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg

Broadly speaking its a copy of a Martin Mahogany ukulele. There are LOTS of copy's of Martin ukuleles out there so its not necessarily a bad thing. There was a time years ago when Martin wasn't building ukuleles and the plans for Martin ukuleles were freely available so lots of builders based their ukes on the Martin plans.

Its showing signs of age but that's OK.

If its a good ukulele and plays well then its a good ukulele. It may well be a hand built instrument.

Last edited:
I think it's mass market, Japanese made, 1960's. Probably all solid mahogany. With a little bit of set up work, will probably be a decent player.

Look inside the sound hole, up toward the neck block. Sometimes there are stamps hidden up there.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas - really appreciate the insight. This will at least give me a better direction with regard to future research. And yes, appears to be solid mahogany - seems very lively/musical from a quick play and with my limited knowledge and experience.

Top Bottom